1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

price of shot just droped

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by yukonjack222, Jun 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

$33.00 here in Delaware and heading lower.....

Curt

2. nipper

nipper TS Member

good news, at least something is going down in price

bill

3. larryjk

larryjk Member

The market on a metric ton of lead was below $1800 this morning. Only has $1200 to go to be back where it was over a year ago. Think that will ever happen? Would be a major miracle!

4. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Spot market price is $.7927/Lb. at the moment. JRM

5. Nebraskashooter

Nebraskashooter Member

There is a guy at the Nebraska state shoot selling it for $35. There is a place on the net selling it for $42.99 delivered.

6. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Where in delaware?

7. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Mark, et., al.

A few of us get together and do an order of shells and shot.

I believe our contact man has Geyer's in PA. deliver to an industrial site outside of Newark.

Curt

8. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Huh...just my luck. I spend hours and hours hunting down wheel weights, and spend hundreds of dollars on buying and building a shotmaker setup, and the freaking price of shot drops...well, I'm pretty sure I can still make it cheaper than $33 a bag I guess...Josh.

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I still think - as do several heavy investors in the metals futures - that all it will take to lower the cost of shot is for us to stop buying it for a while. Sure, you'll go through withdrawal and the clubs will realize less income during that period, but shooters and clubs alike will be better off in the long run. A lot of us have cut back on shooting and, accordingly, the amount of shot and shells we are buying. After six months or so of that, shot is dropping in price - do you really think it is just a coincidence?

Ed

10. bocephus

bocephus Member

You really think that shotgun shooters have that much of an effect on the world lead market?

[​IMG]

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Nearly a 20% drop in 30 days. Some speculators have lost a lot of money. A retailer who bought 20 tons of shot three weeks ago also has a big problem.

Ed- If we want to force the price of lead down, as consumers, all we need to do is not purchase any automobiles with batteries in them and not replace any batteries in the autos we now own. After a year or so, that would begin to have an affect. But, since you are in the auto parts business, I suggest that you do not suggest this remedy.

Pat Ireland

12. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Industry usage in %

Batteries 71

Pigments & other compounds 12

Rolled & extruded products 7

Shot / ammunition 6

Cable sheathing 3

Alloys 1

Total 100

13. bocephus

bocephus Member

Careful now let's not confuse sportshot with facts, he may go postal on us again!!

14. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Lead wheelweights are also done with. They will be outlawed next year, if my sources are correct. The automakers and aftermarket suppliers will be moving to zinc. It's actually a little cheaper than lead at the moment. They are starting to appear on vehicles and at the tire shops already. It's just a matter of time before someone comes up with a replacement for lead in the car battery and for other uses. I'm sure some politician will have no problem tripling the cost of a car battery while reducing it's service life by 50% or more. I'll be buying stock in vaseline! :)

15. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

What do you think all the electric cars will do to it??

Don

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

Quack Shot- "Your sources" have told you lead wheel weights will be illegal after 2009? Do your "sources" hold rather high positions in the EPA or the Executive branch of the next president?

Replacement of lead in batteries presents some very difficult chemical challenges.

Pat Ireland

17. Coachr

Coachr TS Member

Maybe if the price of lead will come down, those of us with shotmakers will be able to get more free wheel weights:)

ron s in Newport, NC

18. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

Pat Ireland,

Lead wheel weights are on their way out.

Here are a few links. The first one says that Virginia government vehicles have gone lead free beginning in 2006.

http://www.leadfreewheels.org/

"Blacksburg, Virgina to go Lead-Free(August 2006):
    The City recently announced a pilot program to do away with lead wheel weights on all government vehicles. The lead weights will be replaced with ones made either of zinc or steel. Officials also plan on helping train local automotive businesses in using the environmentally benign weights."

http://www.leadfreewheels.org/release20050517tsca.shtml

This 2005 release called for auto manufacturers to discontinue use of lead wheel weights by 2006. When some auto makers didn't comply as others did, this group filed a petition with the EPA to ban all use of lead wheel weights. See below.

"This week the Ecology Center formally filed a citizens petition under the federal Toxic Substance Control Act (TSCA) asking EPA to develop rules which would ban the sale of lead wheel weights in the U.S. (download a copy of TSCA citizens petition) In addition, the Ecology Center's "Lead Free Wheels" program has worked to install over 25,000 lead free weights in fleets around the country and has now petitioned EPA to ban the sale of all lead weights within 2 years. "

http://www.aa1car.com/library/wheel_balancing.htm
    (read the news update at the bottom)

For those of you who make shot, get them while you can.

Luvn

19. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

$33.50 at the Michigan State Shoot going on now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.