1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Price of shells at the Grand??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Martinpicker, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Does anyone know what we can expect to pay for shells at the Grand this year? I am thinking of lower end shells like Gun Clubs or Top Guns. Do any of you know what they will be going for at the Shell House or Sparta Wal Mart? Martinpicker

2. BD Trapshooter

BD Trapshooter Member

Just back from the SCTP Nationals and the shell house was selling Top Gun, Estate, Super Target, and Gun Clubs at $60.00 per case. AA and STS were $81.00. Gold Medal were $76.00 and Federal Papers were $86.00. They had Rio and Nobel Sports at $58.00 per case.

3. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Did you notice if any of the shells came with Grand logos printed on the hulls?

4. trap906

trap906 Member

Does anyone know if winchester is still giving the rebate? And can you get the money at the grand, or do you have to mail it in?

5. John55

John55 Active Member

Winchester is giving a rebate again this year. No refunds at the grand, have to mail in the UPC codes along with store receipt and rebate form.

6. wopahoe

wopahoe Member

as of last saturday, shells at walmart were 74 plus tax for AA's.

7. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

Probably the only Walmart with shells available.

Kenny U

8. Martinpicker

Thanks BD Trapshooter. Just what I wanted to know.

Now, does anyone think Rio shells are as good as Estates? Martinpicker

9. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

I paid $74 at the Sparta Wally World at the US Open. Sounds like the price is unchanged as of last week; $54.00 a flat after the $20 rebate is hard to beat. The AA rebate is valid for purchases up to August 31.

The shoot program does not require you to buy your shells at the shell house. It just requires that you use new shells.

It's personal opinion, of course, but I think Rio's are every bit as good as Estates or Kemens. Rio's are pretty much all I shoot.

10. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

And you can shoot reloads on singles & doubles. Only need new ones on handicap.

Clyde

11. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

It appears that Rios are the cheapest and most available shell throughout the country. It's impossible to tell if they're better or worse than any other shell. They do seem to kick a little more than the other economy shells.

12. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

As I commented on another thread about Blasers, and contrary to what I posted above, I've been noticing primer penetrations with Rio's lately, which blows junk back into the firing pins, particularly in hot weather.

No problems with the 3 dram 1-1/8 shells, but I just bought a bunch of 2-3/4 dram 1 Ounce shells that seem to have this problem in my Perazzi. I've shot it a lot and haven't seen this problem before this batch.

Anybody else?

13. Martinpicker

Thanks to all who have responded. I don't reload so bargain shells are my only option. I have had good luck with Estate and Gun Club shells, (20 to 50 flats of each with no complaints,) but have never shot Rios. I just wondered if for $2.00 per flat was enough to give up shells I know I like and risk buying some I have never tried. Thanks again, Martinpicker

14. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

According to a friend that I spoke with yesterday. Yesterday was the last time you could buy premium shells at the Sparta Walmart for $74.+tax. They went to $78.+tax today. Unless, of course, I was given bogus information. My source is pretty on top of things though.

15. Martinpicker

16. skeetrap

skeetrap TS Supporters TS Supporters

Called the sparta walmart and you are correct. $78.00 Just unloading a truck today. # if you want to call 618-443-5800

17. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

what is the sales tax in IL?

18. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

19. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

6.25% in Sparta.

20. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

thanks Shotshell