1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Price of scrap lead in my area

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jimbob, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

Just checked today. Large local scrap metal company in my area with international customers pays 30 cent per pound to selling customers. Re-sells bulk amounts (1000's of pounds)of lead at 68 cents per pound. Also noted: Individual I spoke with has worked there 8 years. Mentioned that this is the highest lead has been at his company since he can remember. Said he has never paid over 50 cents per pound for scrap lead coming in. later, wbJP

2. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I bought 120 lbs. last week at 60 cents/lb. Very dirty stuff with a lot of tire valves etc. and one razor blade. Thet had some soft lead pipe but the price was upwards of a buck. Do you suppose that was because the soft lead pipe was cleaner?

3. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

68 cents per lb. bulk price is for cleaned/chipped/bundled lead. I can't see how mined / raw lead ore can bring upwards of $1.80 per lb as mentioned here and there lately??? I would start making shot if it weren't for the toxicity of lead fumes. The price of shells and shooting in general has put an end to my target shooting for now....unless I can find a cheap source of shot…

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

He has no data. Good ventilation and keep the temperature low (680F) and you will be fine. Just remember, do not eat the lead, 98.5% of lead poisoning is from ingesting the lead. HMB

5. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

HMB, doggai, I didn't mean to infer that I had data on lead poisoning from making shot. I know, as you also know that ingested lead is well documented to be related to serious health problems, especially in younger people. Do you or anyone else think that you can run a shot making system without ingesting some lead each time you handle, heat and pour lead? What about handling the coolant after words? It is possible but not probable that people will do what it takes to avoid ingesting lead every time they run a batch of shot. It is on your clothes, your shoes, in the air as dust, and on and on. I just unloaded about 500 pounds of lead sheet from an x-ray trailer. I had lead dust all over my truck bed, on my shoes and clothes. BUT, I didn’t breath a bit of it…..Oh no….

nsc.org/library/facts/lead.htm

6. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

If you google "lead fumes" you will have a wealth of information on this problem. Actually, 3,610,000 articles to choose from. It must be a problem. Ron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.