1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Price of primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by marotta, Dec 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marotta

marotta Member

I am glad to see the pric eof lead dropping, will the price of primers do the same?

Does anyone have any input on this subject?

Racer

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Last week I got 40 bags of Lawrence Mag shot for $28.50 per bag. The Winchester primers I got in the order were $145. If the primers would have been $100, I would have saved 22.5 cents on each box of shells. I will shoot reloads for doubles at the next shoot I attend (Dixie Grand). My doubles targets will cost me 90 cents more because of the primers. I will miss 12 days of work, spend 11 nights in motels, eat food every day, use a lot of gas and probably buy something I do not need. I will not be concerned about the extra 22.5 cents per box my shells cost.

Pat Ireland

3. marotta

marotta Member

Pat,

you are the voice of experience and no matter how we look at it, our sport is an expensive hobby and maybe why it is called the sport of Kings.

But I don't understand what caused the price of primers to shoot up so much. I mean was China also using the primers to coat their nuclear power plants or what.

Raff

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Pat,

Are you penny wise and pound foolish? HMB

5. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Racer,

I paid $235 for 10,000 Fio 616 primers from Gene Sears last week. In the same order I paid $23.60 for 1,000 Win SPP and $25.1 for 1,000 Win LMR primers.

Federal primers for metallic reloading seem to be hard to get right now. I suspect it is due to a gov't contract.

HBT

6. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Pat seems to have deeper pockets than most of us shooters.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Gary- I like to shoot and I will work as much as I have to so I can do the things I like.

Pat Ireland

8. Cray

Cray Member

Pat, Why did you buy so much lead when the price of lead is falling like a rock? Cray

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

A hungry progressive press will make short work out of 40 bags of shot. (groan)

10. kolar12

kolar12 Member

OK. What is the answer to the question? Why are primers so expensive?? Recobs has Remington Primers for $170 a sleave!! Is it the war? Some expensive chemical in them? Will the Wolf and Fiocchi folow suit cause they can?

11. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

It wasn't very long ago Fiocchi primers were $89 a sleeve. Today they are $110 a sleeve. Why? Because they can. Ed

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

At Bass Pro Shops they had Winchester 209s for $5.99 per 100, that comes to $299.50 for 5000. That's the worst price I have ever seen. HMB

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

Cray, I bought the shot because I needed it at this time and my club placed a large order. I don't know when the club will place another order or what the price of shot will be when the club does place another order. I got 20 bags of #8 and 20 bags of #7.5 about 10 days ago. I now have 8 bags of #7.5 left. My hydraulic PW press has been working.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.