1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Price of Oysters in your area????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by noseeam, Dec 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noseeam

noseeam TS Member

Ok, the price of them little fellows back here in IL.are $80.00 per GAL.
    Now, I know some of you people live on the east coast where the best oysters are.
    What is the price there now?

I can recall in the 1950s at Virginia beach $1.50 for 100 pound sack in the shell.

Bocephas

2. leadvail

leadvail Member

Here in the Rocky Mountains I get mine free if I help out at branding season.

Bob

3. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Annapolis Maryland Retail Fish Markets

$15 per pint ($120 per gallon)

$9 per dozen in shells

4. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

No longer the slave of ambition

I laugh at the world and its shams

As I think of my pleasant condition

Surrounded by acres of clams.

5. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

On Hood Canal, if your willing to break the law, free except for fuel and elbow grease. Ben Hood Canal is in Washington State.

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

$13 -$15 per pint shucked, here in Minnesota. A buck to $1.50 in the shell, per oyster; more in a restaurant, of course.

The best fresh ones I've eaten were at a "seconds" oyster stand just on the right at the start of the Homer Spit in Alaska. The were the misshapen ones which dealers didn't want but they were big, fresh, and absolutely Great!

Neil

7. noseeam

noseeam TS Member

How about oyster rockerfellow or something like that.
    #am too many Baileys Irish creams.
    Bed time.

Merry Christmas shooters

Bocephas

8. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I won't know the price until tomorrow morning; the bait shop is closed for Christmas.

Morgan

9. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

I have lived in Maryland, often right on the Chesapeake Bay, for most of my life. I wouldn't eat an bay oyster now (if there are any left from disease). Crab population is screwed also.

Its really a shame, used to be able to sail into the Annapolis harbor, one person runs to Mill Liquors and another to the market right on the docks for a bushel of dirt cheap oysters.

Also liked them Florida panhandle oysters, when in the USAF at Tydall AFB, used to eat them on the 1/2 shell in this beer shack on the beach in winter....$1 to $1.25 per dozen..ice cold, large, firm and salty. The best.

10. Billster

Billster TS Member

Here in Oyster Bay, NY they're free if you're game for some labor. Otherwise the local company Frank M. Flower & Sons farms them and harvests them continually in the bay. Only time I really eat them is at our annual Oyster Festival...HUGE

11. Billster

Billster TS Member

Here in Oyster Bay, NY they're free if you're game for some labor. Otherwise the local company Frank M. Flower & Sons farms them and harvests them continually in the bay. Only time I really eat them is at our annual Oyster Festival...HUGE festival. According to their website they're getting like $.75 - $1.00 a piece shipped.

Bill

12. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Here in south Ga, 40 miles from the coast, they are $21.99 a bag for roasting and $8.00 a pint. I prefer mine roasted these days. Just stick them on the steamer over the fire until they open throw them on a saltine with some hot sauce and it's almost as good as sex, well maybe not, but they sure are good. Jackie B.

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

I like good raw oysters on the half shell at any price. But, I have been afraid to eat them for several years. The good ones look just like the bad ones.

Some of the very best sea food can be found in places like Kansas City and Chicago. If you are a shrimp processor located in Gulfport MS and it costs you $1 per pound to ship your product to Chicago, are you going to ship shrimp that you can sell for $3 a pound or larger shrimp that you can sell for $6 a pound?

Pat Ireland

14. dward

dward Member

Happy hour at the Sand Bar on Marco Island..........60 cents apiece on the half shell, and I try to keep the waitress running for at least a few dozen!! I'm down to Marco for a week as we speak, so I'm in the oyster zone right now!!

Hope the Mpls Gun Club boys are all freezing there arses off...........it's 80 and sunny down here!!

Big Tan Dan

15. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

I don't eat any raw/steamed oysters unless I'm close enough to the ocean to "P" in it. I once had some raw oysters at a Hooter's in Toledo, OH. and thought I'd have to DIE to get better! Never again. During Daytona's Bike Week in March a bunch of always make a trek to East Palatka, FL. to a place called the Cheyenne Saloon and get steamed oysters. About $7 or so for a nice bucket (about 3 doz.). When we were down there in 2007 I foung my first pearl in one of the shells and damned if I didn't leave it on my tray to be lost forever. Man was I ever mad! Oh well, there's always the next one.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

16. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The last really good Oysters I had was when I was in East Providence Rhode, Island and while at the Sea Food Buffet at the Rio in Las Vegas, Nevada ... Both places had them any way you could imagine from stew, on the half shell, steamed or raw and juicy with Hot Sauce on them ... Damn, Now I got a taste for some good Oysters ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

17. Inkspot Kelly's Great-Nephew

Inkspot Kelly's Great-Nephew TS Member

Wholesale in Maryland $60.00 to $75.00 a gallon if you are hooked up right.

D.S.

18. JEB

JEB Active Member

I have to agree with Billster, but then again I am from Oyster Bay also. You cannot top Pine Island oysters, and I have tried them all. And at $0.85 each, the price is hard to beat. They are actually farmed in Oyster Bay.

John Bergman

19. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I live right on the Humboldt Bay in California where one of the largest oyster growers on the west coast has their entire operation right across the street from where I work. I can usually buy FRESH PICKED oysters, right out of the bay on the day they are harvested, for $40.00 for a bag of 12 dozen. Anyone that has been to the CSTA California State shoot during the past 4-5 years knows just how good, and how fresh these really are. I am also good friends with the plant manager and he will give me a bag, for free, anytime I'm in the mood for them. It just doesn't get any better than that......Dan Thome (Trap2)

20. Urbans

Urbans Member

Oysters from Duxbury Mass, available @ fish market for 1.50 ea, ice cold right out the water. Hard to beat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.