1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Price of old style 28g aa hulls

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Elkman380, Jan 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elkman380

Elkman380 TS Member

Curious to know what these hulls are costing. I know that they are only worth what one can get, but in general what is a fair price??

Travis

2. cementman

cementman Member

Have two cases (20 boxes ea) unopened of the old style 28ga, #9 shot old style Winchester AA shells for sale. Not only do you receive one of the best hulls ever to reload, you can be the first to fire this shell. Pick-up only in the Detroit Metro area at $12.50 box, only selling the total at $500.00. Drop the xx's in response.

3. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Don't bother with the old style hulls as they are way to inconsistant. The new hulls can be loaded 15 to 20 times and they still look good. The old style hulls were great when the plastic was great but sometimes they split on the first firing or the brass would split on the first shot. The new hulls are way better and you will be loading them sooner or later anyway. 10 cents a hull is a fair price but you will never see it. I used to load 1000's of teh old style and as son as the new style came out I got rid of them. Good riddence.....Jeff

4. dzneff

dzneff Member

Travis,

I disagree with Jeff. I find the old style 28 ga hulls hold up as good as the new style "HS" hulls. In fact I prefer the old style; have purchased some recently, and have 6 - 8 reloads in them with little wear. The plastic retains the color better than the "HS" hulls which blacken readily. The going price for 1-fired 28 ga AA hulls varies from $0.10 to $0.20 ea - both types. .................. Dennis in AZ

5. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Dennis, I didn't say that the old style hulls were not good. I said they were inconsistant. Since I have purchased in the area of 350 cases of 28ga Winchester AA's over the last 20 years I suspect I have found out a few things and I will assure you that you will NOT load an old style Winchester AA 28 ga as many times as an HS hull if you want to push them. 10 loads out of an old style hull was great but some batches you couldn't get 5 and they were split all over.At 10 the HS is just getting started. I took and loaded one box of 28ga HS hulls until they failed. One empty that loked funky on the first load split on the 13 loading,the others were still going at 22 loads. Starting to get some small splits in the crimps but still loadable for a 28ga empty. I have purchased new shells from Winchester that each and EVERY shell split on the factory firing. Talk to others who have fired alot of factory 28's Old style Winchester 28's and you will see the same story. I liked the old style hull better then all others until the new ones came out. If you shot as much as I do with a 28ga the hull life of the new HS is more then worth the extra hassel. On average I shoot nearly 10 to 12,000 rounds a year at starlings with my 28's and if the old style hull gave the same life then by god I would be using them!! fWIW Jeff

6. cementman

cementman Member

Jeff / Travis
    I'm the guy selling the two cases of new shells above. One of those cases were free replacements from Winchester for hulls split down the middle. Along with the shipment of replacement ammo from Winchester was a letter stating that the plasic resin used for production was recycled material and since have change to virgin plasic. Might add that they requested the box lot numbers to identify production before giving me a case of shells for nothing. I think it was at the same time that I purchased a couple of cases of the new production 28ga shells and still have perfect reloads in the basement. New deal, anyone in Detroit Metro area that wants to pick up 40 boxes of old style Winchester AA 28ga unfired shells at $425.00, give me a shout.

7. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

If I were in your part of the world I would buy them. With the fools paying 200 plus dollars a thousand for old style empties your shells work out to only 5.62 per box. I can load for cheaper but not much and my time is worth something. Besides, I love factory Winchester AA Skeet loads. Nothing will wack a Starling quite like them!! Jeff

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Having shot the 28 since paper hull days, the poster that ranted about the old style AA hull is absolutely RIGHT. I have shot boxes of factory shells where EVERY shell in the box would split on the first firing.

We loaded them anyway, but the HS hulls DO load better. For a dandy starling load, get the 1300 foot Sporting loads.

9. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

10 to 12 cents.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.