1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Price of New Shells

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by WonderBoy, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WonderBoy

WonderBoy TS Member

With the price of shot going up astronomically I thought I'd just start shooting news shells. Does anyone know who has the best deal on new shells (not the cheap ones....and YES Gun Clubs are the cheap ones!!)?

Thanks

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

The best price will vary at different localities and different quantities. Last December, with a coupon, I could get a flat of AA shells from Dick's for $52 including sales tax. I got around 30 flats at that price. Now they are $59 with a coupon and I am having trouble getting coupons.

The best price I have found on a pallet (100 flats) of AA shells is $64 delivered. The prices seem to fluctuate every month.

Pat Ireland

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Wally World STS & AA's now at $7.54 per box on the Gulf Coast. What is that, $75.40 plus tax, a flat!

4. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

I shoot the Federals and don't know if you consider them cheap or not. I got them at Wally World at a little over $5.00 a box. They were in those 4 box 100 shell packages. I buy them every payday. Gander was way up there $6.99 / box for the same shells .

5. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Yesterday I bought Federal hunting loads from Walmart for 4.68 a box. They have cheapy 4 packs for 20 to 21 dollars in Winchester, Federal and Remington.

6. shot410ga

widomaker: They are cheapies.

7. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I got a flyer from Cabelas showing the Remington gun clubs are on sale for $64.99 was $79.99 Sound like a real big sale for $65 a case?

8. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

4.99 a box at Sheels for estates in Des Moines I hear this week.

9. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

Cheap or not, those Wally World Federals and Winchesters break targets! I honestly believe that paying $3-5 more per box doesn't make the target break any harder. When I miss a target, never once have I said "if only I was shooting AAs" or "if only I was shooting Nitro 27s". My only requirement is 1 1/8, 3 dram for everything. I don't get hung up on brand... at least until I get good enough that Winchester or Remington want to buy my shells for me, of course!! :)

10. skeetiee

skeetiee Member

browning gal

I HAVE! you must not shoot 27 yard targets much, or sporting clays. Cheap shells are ok for practice, but not for the cash! Lee

11. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Everyone should shoot the premium shells. It is the margins on the premium shells that allow the manufacturers to keep my cost down on the cheap ones. Thank you for your support.

12. acre44

acre44 Member

Wal-Mart - 4 pack of Federal = $20.97 = $5.24 per box.

Dicks - Remington Gun Club 10 box flat = $54.90 - $10.00 Coupon = $44.90 = $4.49 per box.

For $0.75 per box I will use as many coupons I can get for Dicks until they expire on 6/30/08, I have 4 sitting here on the desk right now.

13. sglfr45

sglfr45 TS Member

I am a dealer. I can get Diana, NobleSport, Centurion, and Estate. Send an email or call. I can ship by case or by pallet.

Matt Woodson - Woodson Enterprises
    (270)804-5454

14. shot410ga

M R Ducks: That's amazing, two misfires on new AA's. I've shot hundreds of thousands of AA's in the last 30+ years and never had a missfire on a AA. I think you a blowing smoke!!!!!

15. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

Ok lesson time for me.

What's the difference between cheapies and the more expensive shells.

16. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Cheapies cost less than the more expensive shells but they both go BANG and they both will break targets if you do what your supposed to do.

Some though lack confidence in what a cheapie shell can do because they think they must use an expensive premium to break targets either from the 16 or the 27 but once again they will break targets if you do what your supposed to do and the shooter has confidence in his/her ability instead of having only confidence in her/his equipment and shells.

17. zinger

zinger Member

Where can you get the Dick's coupons?

18. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Many times it's the gun that is at fault during misfires. I started a thread about how bad Rios were since I had multiple misfires with them in my Perazzi.

On a hunch I took a mic and measured the length of my firing pin against a new one. The old firing pin was 6 thousands of an inch shorter. I replaced it and haven't has a misfire since using the same lot number of shells.

Now maybe the hard primers of the Rios contributed to the shortness of the firing pin but I think it was just normal wear and the fact that the firing pin is two piece.

Jerry

19. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Skeetie,

I know some top shooters that win often using cheap shells, I shot Rio's only last year and maintained AA-27.

20. Kent

Kent TS Member

I am haveing a hard time sitting down right now. My favorite store anywhere just stuck it to me.

I sent one of my employees to Rural King near the office and gave him a list of what I wanted. He did not deviate from my instructions.

I told him AA's, well I may be changeing my favorite load and my favorite store soon.

[​IMG]

Kent Southard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap shooting shells price