1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Price of Lead

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by TOOLMAKER 251, Jun 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I see the price of lead went above $1.12 per lb. today, I also read a business article not too long ago about our military stockpile of 5.56, 7.62, and 50 cal was at an all time low. I think I read it was about 6 billion rounds total of all 3 calibers and they want to build it up to over 50 billion. Federal cartridge co said there will be no comercial 5.56 shipped this year. Maybe all this helps to drive up the price of lead?

George

2. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Maybe the old mine at Galena, IL can be reopened. Might be an interesting family outing...

3. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Looks like the trend might continue ... current price is $1.1179 per lb. Bill Malcolm

4. rumplestilskin

rumplestilskin TS Member

More electric cars = More batteries = More lead = More $$$ for SHOT. .
    Time to go back to the horse and buggy days.

5. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

Glad that I have a Belgin and Cleavland Bay in the stable all I need to do is to teach him and her to drive!

Ronbo

6. Mac V

Mac V Guest

I'm missing the point of all this fascination with the price of lead...

There is absolutely nothing any of us can do about it...

If you want to reload, you'll buy the shot...

If you don't want to pay the price for shot, you'll stop reloading and buy factory loads...

If you can't afford factory loads, you'll quit shooting and take up bingo.

If you need something to complain about, complain about how the little moron in the White House keeps confusing his own religious catalog with the needs of the nation.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Ronbo- With two nice horses your financial stress may not be the current price of shot. Keeping a horse or two does make shooting trap seem very inexpensive.

Pat Ireland

8. EDGARMCM

EDGARMCM TS Member

Another factor is the amount of lead going to China. Recently read that they are making battery powered bicycles in China. There were 10 million sold last year and expect to sell 15 million this year. Don't know how many tons of lead this takes but has to take quite a bit.

In January of 2003 the price of lead was 20 cents per pound. The above Website shows the historical charts.

9. Mac V

Mac V Guest

<blockquote>"I guess they don't use lead shot in factory shells??"</blockquote>

Of course they do...

but buying it concealed in a plastic wrapper sort of hides the cost of the lead and fools us into ignoring it.

10. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

""I guess they don't use lead shot in factory shells??"

Lead is up about $.70/lb over the past year. Factory loads, depending on brand, are up about $1/box. That's just about the increased cost of lead.

Lead's just like other commodities - supply and demand. Problem is, most new lead is a by-product of silver or tin mining, so new mining capacity won't come on line just because lead prices are up.

Lotsa military ammo, lotsa batteries = higher lead prices.

Lead would not have gone up so much if we were paying for it in Euros. The decline in the value of the dollar, due to trade and budget deficits, has added about $.20 of the price increase. Same goes for oil, gasoline, copper, pork bellies, coffee, Scotch, etc.

Decline of dollar, military ammo for Iraq civil war...send your thanks to W.

18 months from now we'll have a choice - "stay the course" or "Put America First". Same choice we had last election.

If you voted for Bush...well you got what you deserve.

11. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

Aint it great being the world's largest borrowing nation? ANd gotta love that trade deficit with China. And who did they send to China to negotiate with them on letting their Yen rise? A former employer of Goldman-Sachs. Im guessing he didnt push too hard on the Chinese. They're making money hand over fist.

12. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

Yes...thank you Dubya for taking away my individual liberties to give me the illusion of safety.

As Benjamin Franklin stated in the Pennsylvania Assembly's Nov. 11th, 1755 reply to the governor...

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

13. perga1

perga1 Active Member

revsublime, if you are dead from a terrorist attack you will have neither "Liberty nor Safety".

14. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

Liberty is not now, nor has it ever been safe. I'd rather take my chances with a terrorist attack than with politicians wanting to take away my liberties. It is the chance that every Patriot takes when they claim freedom.

And for those that claim it is necessary for us to lose a little freedom to gain some safety...read this.

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is argument of tyrants. It is the creed of slaves." William Pitt in the House of Commons November 18, 1783

15. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Some of you people would bitch if you were hung with a new rope. what XP100 said is entirely correct AND don't forget about who the Dems were that voted right along with the pres to go into Iraq . Pull your heads out of your asses once in a while. Everything that's wrong in the world isn't W's fault. I don't agree with the man on allot of things, but some of you people are just plain ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!

16. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

...and to continue on your point. I stand a much greater chance of dying by an american citizen armed with a gun than I do from any terrorist attack.

Using your logic we should give up the liberty of gun ownership. Not only is it wrong...but it is extremely un-American and our Founding Fathers would turn in their graves had they known that those who support our Constitutional right to bear arms would also support the tyrannical government in taking away our other Constitutional liberties for a temporary feeling of safety.

17. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

yes...the dem's were given false information in the run-up to the war. As was the press, as was the people. Have we held the Administration accountable for the mis-information? Have we even asked WHY Cheney's OSP in the Pentagon was using single-sourced intelligence as dogma? No...because to question our government has somehow become unpatriotic.

Something else that would make our Forefathers puke.

18. perga1

perga1 Active Member

revsublime, WHAT? You wrote "...and to continue on your point. I stand a much greater chance of dying by an american citizen armed with a gun than I do from any terrorist attack. Using your logic we should give up the liberty of gun ownership. Not only is it wrong...but it is extremely un-American and our Founding Fathers would turn in their graves had they known that those who support our Constitutional right to bear arms would also support the tyrannical government in taking away our other Constitutional liberties for a temporary feeling of safety." Tell that to the families of the 3,000 vitims of 911. You read an awful lot into the statements of others that simply isn't there. I have not read where anyone said we should give up our second ammendment rights. How would giving up our guns make us safer? Your logic isn't logical.

19. bwvan

bwvan TS Member

revsublime, you are an idiot, sir...leaving no one to have to guess, though...

20. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

XP100 says -

"If we voted for the Democrats we would not be bitching about the price of lead because we would not have guns."

Did Clinton take our guns? Did Carter? LBJ? Kennedy?

Nope, and neither will Hillary, Obama, or Edwards. Your claim that Dems will take guns is absolute nonsense.

If you're worried about losing freedoms, look no further than GWB. Kangaroo courts (for which he got slapped down by the Supreme Court), illegal spying on Americans (for which he got slapped down by the District Court). Neocons, you see, care nothing about the Constitution or the rule of law.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.