1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Price of lead

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by deadpair51, Dec 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadpair51

deadpair51 Member

I just bought eight bags of magnum shot from an x shooter for $25.00 per bag. There was a coffee can of loose shot in on the deal. In it I found a 5lb bag of Winchester shot ,I have never seen a small canvas bag of shot like that. Does it have any collector value ? Did I over pay for the shot ? Jim

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

You got yourself a deal.

3. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

You did good on the purchase. If it was Remington, Winchester, Lawrence or West Coast shot, you did very well. Remington copper coated shot came in 10# canvas bags as recent as 3 years ago. Don't know about Winchester. 5# bags seem very unusual.

4. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Used to pick up five pounders in odd sizes like buck, copper #4, and such...lots of dealers had them (25 years ago...) have not seen them in a long time. I use a five pounder of 4s for a recoil pad on slug sighting in days when I don't want to haul out the lead sled.

5. deadpair51

deadpair51 Member

I think the small bag has to be rare, I didn't know it was part of the deal,what a surprise when I looked in the coffee can ! Jim

6. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I bought 5 pounds of Winchester copper plated #5 shot in a canvas bag in 1973 for duck hunting.

7. RV4driver

RV4driver TS Member

What do you guys (and gals) know about Eagle brand magnum shot, from Peru?
    I'm about out of it, haven't shot any yet, just have it loaded. Apparently, Peru is the home of the largest lead mines in the world. Who knew?

Jeff

8. deadpair51

deadpair51 Member

This five pound bag is marked 7 1/2 . Jim

9. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Over the years I have shot a couple tons of the Eagle brand shot. Seems to pattern and crush birds as well as the higher priced name brands.

10. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I still have 2 unopened 10 lb. bags of Lawrence Copper coated #4 lead shot..... I've had it since the late 70's..

1-3/8 oz powered by 4756......great goose and late season duck load.

Curt

11. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

I also have some 10 lb un opened bags of copper plated shot in various different sizes that I would sale if someone is interested.

12. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Eagle shot is good shot. I have been using it for 2 years.

Jim Skeel

13. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

Eagle Shot is fine. I've used it for several years and can't see any difference between it and Lawrence brand.

14. deadpair51

deadpair51 Member

So about this five pound bag of size 7 1/2 lead shot , anyone have an idea on it`s collector value ,if any. Thanks Jim

15. Chip

Chip TS Member

Curt I have no doubt your Lawrence Copper coated #4 lead shot from the 70's is great on goose and late season duck....However it has been ILLEGAL to shot waterfowl with lead shot in every state for almost 20 years!

"I still have 2 unopened 10 lb. bags of Lawrence Copper coated #4 lead shot..... I've had it since the late 70's..

1-3/8 oz powered by 4756......great goose and late season duck load.

Curt"

16. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Chip is right. Curt you have a great turkey load now.

17. below 0

below 0 TS Member

You can still purchase 5# bags of shot at Gander Mtn in 4, 5, 6, BB etc. I just purchased some to load for Pheasants...Odie

18. Tony Fortino

Tony Fortino Member

threedeuces who would want to buy overpriced copper plated shot on TS.com?

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

My experience with Eagle shot has not been as good as some other posters. I found the shot bag contained several irregular shaped shot and it was not sized well. It also seemed a bit soft when tested on my rather crude tester.

Pat Ireland

20. Chipmaker

Chipmaker Active Member

QUOTE:" Does it have any collector value ? Did I over pay for the shot ? Jim "

Lets get this thread back on track and try to answer this gentleman's 2 questions! This thread has went every direction but toward his questions......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.