1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PRICE OF LEAD

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Cray, Dec 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cray

Cray Member

Todays price-$.48. $.48 X 25= $12.00 X 35%= $16.20 a bag?? Merry Xmas. Cray

x

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Why am I still paying $42.95 + tax? When will the trickle down start to happen?

3. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

If shot don't come down considerably the then thier will begin a inventory of shotshell powder, wads and primers. Without shot to shoot their is now reason for the rest.

It would be nice to see the big box stores to go away and the small shops come back. We may have to pay a little more but atleast not getting gouged. B12

4. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

I'll reply to this one. Don't pay $42.95 + tax. It's been going down and will continue to go down. Don't help them by paying their ridiculous asking price. If you absolutely have some now, buy it a bag at a time. It's in the twenties now and will only get to the teens if we all buy smart.

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I have been a one bag buyer for at least a year.. I use to buy in the 400lb. range, and I would like to again.

6. hangn7

hangn7 TS Member

Just recieved a price quote of 28.69 in north central Montana for Eagle Brand shot, dont know the hardness. Is this shot any good? I think its made in Peru. STS shot is 34.99 Give me your thoughts please. Your thought on best to worst in shot brands. Thank you in advance. Mark peterson

7. RLC323

RLC323 Member

STS is worth the money if you are shooting for money.

8. arthalony

arthalony Member

If you are shooting for money you shoot new shells.

Dan

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Mark- You asked for my thoughts, they are: West Coast the best. Remington very good. Lawrence is almost as good as Remington. Star shot, not so good and Eagle Shot is bad.

Shot is dropping in price. Some retailers and distributors are sitting on higher priced shot they got several months ago. Soon, some will be forced to sell some inventory for less than they paid for it. Things like that happen in business and in the stock market.

Pat Ireland

10. Cray

Cray Member

Todays price----$.4681. Cray

11. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Kind of funny, the different opinions.

Pat is obviously a very knowledgeable dude on a lot of topics, but I have to disagree on shot.

I wouldn't shoot West Coast "premium" at registered birds if it was free. I feel Remington is the best.

12. hangn7

hangn7 TS Member

Thank you Pat and handlepuller for your expressed thoughts, I have been around enough to know that we think the way we do for a reason. I can also buy redropped shot for 28.00. There is not alot of options in this part of the world. Thanks again for the advice and thoughts they are appreciated. Mark Peterson

13. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Currently trading at 44 cents per pound. Bill Malcolm

14. hangn7

hangn7 TS Member

Purchased 140 bags remington 6% shot yesterday @28.99 bag I am good to go for awhile now. will pick up cheaper stuff for ptatice later. It will go down more always does after I buy. Mark P

15. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

140 bags? Heck ... that's enough shot to last till maybe the end of January, what ya going to be shooting come February?

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It hit $.41 a pound today. .41 x 25 = $10.25. HMB

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

handlepuller- You indicated that you would not shoot West Coast shot at registered birds and you believed Remington is superior. I believe if we were to shoot on the same squad, with half of our shells loaded with West Coast and half with Remington shot, neither of us could tell the difference. Lets try it sometime. And, after we run the birds we can shoot our favorite brand of shot in the shoot off. Sounds like fun to me.

Pat Ireland

PS- Remington shot is not readily available to me and I have not used it for several years.

18. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

I agree that's probably true Pat!

The reason I don't like it is because the WCP I bought, granted only one time, had a lot of size variability and the Remington is very uniform.

Who knows if that would make a difference in real life, but it may in my head so I buy the Remington at Scheels.

19. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

I shot alot of remington shot over the years and never seemed to have a problem untill last year just as the price started to go up. I notice I had trouble at breaking targets the farther back I got. So I started using some of my homemade stuff and started shooting my usual again. Later I went back to the remington I already had loaded and started to fall off on my scores. I change to some lawarance and shot my usual again. On day when I was loading I poured some of the brands out on some ashtrays to see if I could see any difference. What I noticed rightaway was the remington looked unusually small. I calibrated the shot and most of it fell in the size of 9's. Lucklly I only had two bags so I ended up; using it for skeet.
    I found in the lawerance shot many stuck together. However it was pretty uniform. After shooting most of the brands plus my homemade stuff I really can't tell any difference except for the remington. I just figure It was made in Mexcio or Peru and the quality is pretty lacking. I think gunclubs for remington are produce by nobel now. The older gunclub loads had the brass colored heads but the one that are made outside the US are the steel colored.

B12

20. Cray

Cray Member

The next time you need shot, ask your supplier how much they have on hand. This should give you a "Heads Up" as to when you'll be able to buy cheaper shot! Cray

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.