1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Price of Lead

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by psfive, May 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psfive

psfive Member

The price of lead closed under $1.00 per pound today. Break out the loaders!!!!
    Paul

2. Bitter American

Bitter American TS Member

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Lead is $.97 a pound today. HMB

4. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

How long will it take to flush the high-priced lead out of the supply chain? Maybe retailers who bought tons of the high-priced stuff will be forced to eat the difference if the commodity price remains low or drops further. The key thing to remember is that in a time of wildly fluctuating commodity prices, it pays to shop around. You don't know the cost basis of the lead each guy is selling.

5. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Bird Dog.... Eat the difference? Surely you jest. The big box stores like Bass Pro and Gander Mountain and Cabels's have been sticking it to the shooter for years. All of their reloading components are to the moon. If my local distributors can sell shot for $38-$40 a bag, so can they. They just choose not to. Charging $59 was just plain insulting. The big stores seem to work on a standard mark up. It does not matter what they pay, just mark it up and pass it on. With the buying power they have over some of the smaller distributors near me, they could sell shot at the same price but they don't make enough margin on it to justify the expense to the corporate bean counters. The scary thing is they were selling some shot at that price too. Not to us but to the casual reloader who does not know where to buy components at a discount. I was at Dick's the other day and bought 6 boxes of STS 28 ga for $$7.99 a box. They had multiple boxes on the shelf marked $7.99, $8.99 and $9.99 and $10.99. I chose to buy all of the $7.99 ones they had. Some of the ones marked $10.99 still had the $7.99 price tag visible underneath the higher price. What this tells me is that the store was not selling the shells at $7.99 and just continued to mark them up at the demand of corporate office and still continued to not sell them at the higher prices.

Jeff

6. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

It may be .97 cents a pound today but the scrap dealers on want to buy it at .45 cents a pound. Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.