1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Price of Lead

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RDM, Dec 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RDM

RDM TS Member

So it has been a while (years) since I have done much shooting/reloading.
    I priced a bag of shot the other day and was told that it is now 38 dollars a bag. The last time I bought a bag I paid 18 dollars for it.

My questions are -

Why have the prices went up ?
    Do you think it will ever go back down?

2. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

The last I bought (June of this year) was $28.50 I also bought some reclaimed for $22.50. The price will go and down a little depending on the market and where you buy it, but the $18.00 a bag I don't think will ever come back. I was told China buys alot and that runs the price up (they use it in everything including toys etc.) and sell it back to us

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The reclaimers our club talked to had no qualms about telling us straight out that they would be selling our mined shot to a Chinese broker because they paid better than US refiners.

MK

4. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

35. a bag at our club in California.

5. RDM

RDM TS Member

Anyone know as to where I can buy reclaimed shot in Indiana ?

6. KRE

KRE TS Member

Unknown1

Did the club still allow them to reclaim it, after that statement? If you don't mind this question, what club, where, and lastly who was the reclaimer? If you don't want to answer here, I understand.

Kenneth

7. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

It is my understanding that lead is a by-product of gold mining. So with gold prices as high as they are, you would figure any by-product of it would also be at a higher price.

Shot locally is up about 20% (now at $33 per 25#) from about 6 months ago.
    Primers are also up about 20% from 6 months ago as well.

I figure it cost me about $5 per flat more now to reload than 6 months ago.

Let's face it no one has ever claimed that trap shooting is a cheap sport and if you're worried about the increase in shells of $5 per flat, you probably shouldn't be spending the money it takes to shoot trap anyway.

Craig

8. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

The only way you're going to get shot for around 27 bucks a bag these days is to have a boxcar full of it sent to your location. Next you get a few of the guys at your club come up with 130k and you'll be in business lol . Jim

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Blue: Lead is decomposed uranium. It has nothing to do with Gold.

10. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

If I were a member of that club that had a reclaimer that sold the clubs shot to the Chinese, I would drop my membership immediately! That shot belongs to the general membership. It should be reclaimed and re-sold to the members of that club at a reduced price. Sounds like the club just sh*t on its members in favor of a few extra dollars. Happened at a local club here and the membership is still HOT about it, believe me... Pretty lousey way to treat the membership, don't you think???? Dan Thome (Trap2)

11. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Blueraven - I believe it's from silver mining. That's what they were saying in the 70s. But now I understand most domestic production comes from lead mines in Missouri.

12. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Price will not drop until the next world recession.

13. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

Word going around is another club in NC has sold their lead without giving members a chance......of course they have never cared about the shotgun end of things anyway. That's why I am no longer a member.

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

shot410ga- Yes Lead can be produced from Uranium but that requires fusion. It probably takes place in some large stars but not on the Earth. Lead is considered an element and, with the exception of nuclear reactions, one element cannot be changed into another element.

Pat Ireland

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The lead is just lying on the ground waiting to be picked up by club members. Why don't clubs promote this. It is good for the environment, good for the members and good for the club. HMB

16. RJ

RJ TS Member

Went to Cabela's for some Unique Powder and took a look at the price they were getting per bag of shot. This was #6 $32.99 25 lbs. (Rich.inAz.orinnameonly)

17. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"The lead is just lying on the ground waiting to be picked up by club members. Why don't clubs promote this. It is good for the environment, good for the members and good for the club."</I></blockquote>Have you ever tried that? If the shot fall area is a couple hundred yards away down hill in woods and brush, you get to take your pail or bucket down there with you, put about 50 pounds of shot/dirt/rocks/sticks/leaves into it and lug it a couple hundred yards back up the hill and out of the woods.

How many times a day do you think you'll do that before you realize that it's a really dumb idea?

Then you get to go home with it and figure a way to clean all the junk out of it.

MK

18. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Yes, I have tried it. Twenty minutes in the field netted 100 lbs of lead. I had to invest another forty minutes to clean it using a window screen and a vacuum. A good reward for the amount of time invested.

By the way, why do you have such a negative attitude? Did you have a bad lead experience? Why don't you tell us about it, maybe you will feel better. HMB

19. Unknown1

To you it's negative... to me it's just pragmatic.

MK

20. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

"dumb idea" ?? If it was that easy a lot of us would do it, and probably aready do..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.