1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Price of lead up to $.69

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by himejim, Apr 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. himejim

himejim Member

The price of lead has been steadily rising for the past month or so. Currently at .69 and was below .50. What is going on and will we still see lead below $20.00 per bag this summer?

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Not if the price of raw lead keeps rising. This is not good news for shooters. Break-em all. Jeff

3. willing

willing Member

Looks like the speculators are at it again. With this economy the demand has certainly gone down. Haven't seen any reports of mines shutting down. Since lead is mostly a byproduct of silver mining I would think it is still being done.

Bill

4. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

You have to keep looking at China and India...

The small car market is taking off in those countries.

Also, China has been buying up supplies of metals throughout the world and also increasing there stake in mining companies, if not owning them outright.

They recently made huge purchases of copper.

Some think that China it worried about the U.S. debt and the amount of dollars they hold. Putting money into metals is a good hedge against a devalued dollar and also insures their future industrial growth.

You can also look at the US and the number of batteries that will be needed in political correct vehicles.

5. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

well it is not the direction that we want to see but the shot you are buying now was not made with $0.50 lead either. I would bet the current shot in the market was made from lead closer to the $1.00-$.090 cent range. It takes time from the point the lead is purchases (futures market), the lead is delivered to the manufacture, the lead is used, the shot is shipped to a reseller, the consumer (you) buys it. You have to figure there is about a 6-12 month delay in the time the lead was purchased and the shot was delivered to your local distributor. It could be a longer time.

Our company buys lead at about 6 months before we need it, we also tend to keep about a 90 day stock of lead for our factory. So by the time you buy our battery the lead in that battery was probably purchased at a 12-15 month old price. I am not sure if the shot manufactures have as much of a lead time, it could very well be longer.

When prices go up manufactures and distributors tend to raise prices faster since they can make a larger profit. When lead goes down you will not see them lower prices as fast because they are using lead that was purchased at a higher price.

I personally feel we will still see 19-20 bags of shot, in my area we are down to around 23 a bag so not to far off. A lot will depend on when the distributor buys shot, how much they buy at a time and how quickly they sell it. Bottom line, its anyone's guess!

Dave

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

I just ordered 80 bags last week. I thought it might go lower and saw it tick up so bought in.

If it drops again, I will buy more.

It is good to be shooting for under $3.50 a box.

Don Verna

7. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

All raw materials will rise again and that's why I do some oil speculation as I did in '07-'08. Made $65K on a $100K investment. It's all about timing. It's the same with lead.

Curt

8. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Wall Street Journal recently reported that China decided it is sitting on too much U.S Treasury debt and U.S. dollar reserves. They expect high inflation in USA, and that would greatly shrink the value of the treasuries and dollars. So they are converting them to commodities, mostly copper, but some lead too.

Warren Buffet just invested heavily in a Chinese car company that makes electric cars and batteries. He expects growth there.

9. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

My vendor can't get any #8 shot right now. I guess people are hoarding it now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.