1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Price of Lead Continues Down

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by pdq, Oct 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pdq

pdq Member

Amidst all of the doom & gloom coming from Wall Street and the presidential race, there is one bright spot. Namely, lead on the commodities market continues down, currently trading at $0.62, versus $1.80 this time last year. And combined with the fact that the price of the fuel needed to transport the lead is also coming down, I hope that it will cause the price for shells to return to former levels.

I've personally cut my reloading expense significantly by loading 1 shell out of 5 with no shot. For those who have been seeing me shoot recently, this is the reason for some of the scores I've been posting.

Pete

2. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Yes Pete the price is dropping and you can thank West Chester Gun Club since we are about to have our lead mined. When we first approached this topic lead was at a high and we we were thinking of a new club house, traps, etc.

Now we will consider having the floors mopped and waxed with the profit if there is one.

Jerry

3. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Jerry, while y'all are at it, can ya get the lead out of my horse's butt at the same time? Although he is an older boy, he should be able to extend that trot a little more...

4. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Do you think companies like Hornady, Sierra, Nosler are going to lower their price of products since copper is around $2 a pound? How about the companies that increased the price of their service by adding a fuel surcharge?

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Trickle down has not reached the Gulf Coast. Still $42.95 a bag.

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

East Coast is down to $30.00 for West Coast hard shot.

Curt

7. eagles11

eagles11 TS Member

The price for copper has taken a significant hit as well.

8. pdq

pdq Member

Yes, over the last 2 years, copper has hovered in the $3.50 - $4.00 range, and it has recently plummeted to $2.25.

Regarding fuel surcharges, the company that collects trash in our neighborhood charges a 'fuel surcharge', and yes, it has been going down over the last couple of months.

Pete

9. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Prices always go up fast but are very slow to come down. Manufacturers and distributors will say it is due to inventories but the inventory on shot is low. Must be profit motivated.

As an example wholesale propane is $.86 per gallon but my local co-op wants $2.33 for delivered fuel. Two years ago the wholesale cost was $.96 and the delivered cost was $1.59.

Can you say GREED!

Jim Skeel

10. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I would be very happy with propane selling for $2.33 My supplier wants $3.69 per gallon, they never menioned if that was with vasoline.

11. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Pete: Are you trying to get a REDUCTION in yardage???LOL:) PJ

12. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Pete, very astute of you in saving lead. To go along with this, have you considered asking your club to throw a simulated target to go along with your shotless shell? Only seems fair!

Best,
    Dennis

13. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

An analogy would the current price of oil versus gasoline at the pump. It's BS. GWB needed to step up a long time ago and put an end to the price gouging. It didn't happen during his first term, but AFTER he got himself re-elected the prices sky rocketed. Just coincidenece I guess. A bag of shot is the same way. Ought to be $10 a bag lower than it currently is. S@@@@ 'em. They can keep it.

14. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Just a guess, but I suspect that AA's, STS's and Nitros will have some reason to stay around $75.00 or even go up. Like because nobody buys them any more, they're more expensive to make. They were around $40.00 five years ago.

In economics, it's called elastic demand. Raise the price, demand falls off, manufacturing unit costs go up, profitability goes down. Whoops. Gotta raise the price again.

Kinda like fare hikes in public transportation.

Crabby morning. Sorry.

15. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Distributors place an order for shot 6 to 8 weeks prior to delivery. They are locked into the agreed upon price. Even though the market drops the current price remains high. He who can wait the longest in a falling market wins!!

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

$.60 a pound today. 60 x 25 = $15.00. HMB

17. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Many shooters nowadays are either buy homemade shot or making it themselves. For a while wheelweight were hard to find but they are getting eaiser now. Last week I went to buy a new set of tires. I got the price and I said If you throw in a 5gal. bucket of used weights I told him I would buy the tires. He said he couldn't because he has a man comming around everymonth the get the lead. I told him to stick it. No weights,not tires. Guess what I ended up getting 10gal. of weights. Danged If I'm going to give those hight prices for shot. The sporting house can offset their high cost of latter purchases buy buying more at lower price and averaging the cost. B12

18. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It is still going down. $.55 a pound today. HMB

19. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Sure good news for those guys with all that equipment that have been at our club for the past two weeks.

20. len loma

len loma TS Member

anybody seeing 25# of new shot under $30 in Wisconsin?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.