1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Price Going Up -

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by capnrico, Jun 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capnrico

capnrico TS Member

The price on a case of birds went up a buck too on White Flyers we heard last week.

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

Nah, you're talking about a bunch of old retired farts with nothing better to do with their money...their vacations are already planned...they will be there. I wouldn't worry about it. Trapshooting will just "downsize" a little bit...not disappear. The guys with the diesel F-350s are not about to let a few ragheads dictate their golden years.

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Shells are going up again, too. I don't see too many: "the sky is falling" post anymore. It seems that the optimism we've had that this was a temporary spike that would settle back to normal is wishful thinking.
    Don''t be surprised if the Grand is canceled.

4. crusha

crusha TS Member

DickG,

I realize you made your comment somewhat jocularly...but...still:

Nuclear bombs could hit America, and there would still be RVs parked in Sparta. The same way that gas could hit $10 a gallon, and you'd still see some F-350s on the road. You're talking about people with remaining life expectancy of <10 years. Like I said, these people are not going to have their retirements dictated by some ragheads.

The faddahs of the ATA were (perhaps unwittingly?) planning for today's economic scenario when they nixed owning our own grounds, and made the deal with Sparta. It turns out to have probably been the correct call. When you own something, you have fixed costs, and have to make a certain number of customers to break even. If Average Joe can't afford the gas to get there, the event suffers. It costs a certain amount to staff the grounds and operate, and you have to have enough shell house revenue (shooters) to break even on that (which is basically about what the Grand was able to do for many years). The Grand depended on good numbers of Average Joes being able to make the pilgrimage. But when you rent, especially from a non-profit-driven entity such as the state of Illinois, and lock in a deal whose finances are based on user fees, you can now have a tournament with only 50~60 shooters, and it doesn't matter. Those 50 will have a great time..."c" you next year buddy!

The faddahs wanted to make sure they had a place to tow _their_ trailers to for the next 10 years...and they got it. Even when this returns to being a sport of only the rich, the Grand will still be there. Its existence is now assured, regardless whether the Average Joe prospers or suffers damnably. The middle class appears to be in for slightly rougher sledding...but the ATA cut fortunes with all that misery a couple years back, via the Sparta deal. The Grand will be fine. Maybe smaller...but fine. Its existence no longer depends on the average Joe's ability to afford it.

5. Dickgshot

While I'm in my office, though every few minutes I get up and practice mounting my gun and pulling the trigger and saying: "bang you're dead." Basically the same thing I did when I was 6 years old.

6. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

We are a small club in Hamilton,Montana. We had an ATA shoot yesterday. 5-6-7 years ago we had 10-12 full squads of singles,10 handicap,5-6 doubles. Yesterday 22 singles shooters 20 handicap 14 doubles. It was the old timer,die hard shooters. I did not shoot. $26 bucks for targets,$2 day fee,$18 shells. For 100 singles. Nope. Don't need it. Our club has a summer league. 10 weeks 500 targets total. We had 20 full squads. This is the direction of shotgun shooting. Yup,the old farts will go to the grand. I am an old fart by the way. I will not go to the grand. Bad health for one,but it is not a very welcoming venue for an average guy that wants to spend a day or two. The ATA will survive but in a much reduced fashion.

7. biff

biff Active Member

Getting to the trapshoots may become a little easier as the cost of road materials like black top is rising, so there'll be less repair and building which use to cause traffic jams. I thought the higher gas and diesel prices would make for fewer cars and semis on the highway but that didn't seem the case as I drove down I65 to Nashville on Friday to the Tn. State Shoot.....it was bumper to bumper with several long delays. Biff

8. Dickgshot

I predict an increase in participation in TS.com - especially on week-ends. After all, going to your club was mostly for BS'ing with your buddies. Well, now you can do it here, and best part: no driving required. Fuel cost=0.
    You can see all the neat guns advertised for sale, and since none of them are selling, they'll be there to look at for a long time. No more sweltering in the heat, just turn up the air-conditioning. Shell prices, target prices, who cares.

9. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

While there will still BE a Grand, it's numbers will undoubtably fall off this year. When all is said and done, it IS NOT the "fat cats" that are the backbone of trapshooting. While the big money boys DO shot many more targets per person, the little guy is still traps biggest supporter by sheer numbers. Gas prices, rising food and housing cost(as well as everything else) will most definetly take a huge toll on the casual shooters. Everything is going up except wages. The working class is being hit really hard right now. The SCTP program will definitely take a hit. While there is some spomsorship, most kids are shooting on Mom and Pops dollar and lot of parents are sacrificing spending money on themselves to allow Johnny and Susie to shoot(something I applaude them for).The hard truth is money for trapshooting is "recreational spending" and falls ubder the "extra money" catagory. With prices on everyday expenses soaring, those "extra" dollars will be increasingly harder and harder to find.The S,P, and K gun shooters will still be doing buisness as usual for the most part (at least thos who didn't spend their life savings on one), but the vast majority of shooters, the 870,1100, mod.12, BT 99, and McDonalds for lunch bunch will shoot much less or drop out as prices out pace their expense account. I think it will get a lot worse before it gets any better and if the liberal Dems take control of the oval office as well as congress, inlation will be a runaway train and tax increases will ruin the middle class.

10. Delbert

Delbert TS Member

Boys, you really should stop trying to predict the future. If you really could do that, then you would be a billionaire who wouldn't care about prices. Just relax and go with the flow.

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I just got home from an ATA shoot a little while ago. Saturday they had 7 shooters, today, I made the 8th. Smallest turnout I've seen at that club in a year. First to go down will be the small clubs that ATA relys on according to what I've heard. Those fortunate enough to look past the increase in costs and continue shooting will be a small but fortunate group, both shooters and clubs. Hap

12. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

That idiot Ben Bernanke and his banker buddies are DEVALUING the dollar to help out their banker buddies who have been stuck with the fallout from their LOW INTEREST loans being defaulted on by a bunch of a holes who bought too much house on CREDIT and now can't pay. Oil is traded in dollars and every time some terrorist or country starts sabre rattling in the mideast the commodities traders run up the price of oil and consequently gasoline. The U.S. should immediately PROHIBIT futures oil trading and RAISE INTEREST LEVELS TO A REALISTIC LEVEL such as 10 -12 per cent. P*ss on those bastar*s who borrowed more than they could afford and p*ss on the banks who loaned it.

13. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

buzzgun, you wrote - "The guys with the diesel F-350s are not about to let a few ragheads dictate their golden years." I don't think it is the ragheads who are doing the dictating, it is the Sierra Club, etal.

The ragheads are pumping oil, the enviro wackos are the ones trying to alter everybody's lifestyle by blocking new energy exploration.

14. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Tuesday night I went to a meeting at one of the clubs I belong. Treasurer reported that shooting was down 30% from a year ago, and club membership is down a like number.

I should add I'm one of the culprits, my shooting is down probably 75% from a year or two ago.

15. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Just think ladies & gents....

By the summer of 2009 regular gas will be $7.00 per gallon. Higher if there are any extraordinary circumstances, i.e., hurricanes, attacks on U.S. soil, etc., etc.

My shooting (registered) has not slowed down compared to last year and by the end of the target year, total targets will be approx. 9000.

It'll be interesting to see how the larger state shoots are attended. We (Delaware) had our state shoot over the Memorial Day weekend and over the 4 days, we threw 9% less targets.

Curt

16. willing

willing Member

Comp1-You are absolutely right. Some of these peole who are complaining about the Sierra should check their wives check book.

Bill

17. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Like most sports, 20% of the people that shoot trap spend 80% of the $$$$. These are not "poor folks." I still see F-350's pulling $120K boats with twin 250 Yamaha's out to the gulf to catch a few fish.

18. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

While the Rich folks may still big spenders in Trap I certainly don't think they are paying 80% of the freight. Yes they do make up a big part, but it is STILL the casual shooters in the working class that amount to the "majority" of trapshooting by sheer numbers. Take away the working class shooters and you could hold the grand on 20 traps and most state shoots on 4! Shooting is already down sharply and prices(especially shooting cost and gas)do not stabilize soon it will be down even more. There is also a factor not discussed much. There is always an anti gun faction out there saying we don't NEED any guns in this country. The amount of active shooters has always bode well for second ammenment supporters. A lack of shooters will only hurt. The fact is trapshooting is in danger of becoming a sport of elites again, and most small gun clubs will struggle to survive with many ceasing to exist as the working class is squeezed for disposable speending money. Things will get much worse and SOON if the current trend is not reversed.

19. darr

darr Well-Known Member

Damn you guys are real downers.Yes "everything" is more expensive.Shoot less,quit shooting,find other things to cut back on or try to earn more money.This sight is sure getting to sound like the Oprah show.Everybody is living in tragic circumstances.Lighten up.Things go up and they go down.Enjoy what you can and please feel free to tell us how much fun it was whether it be shooting or something else.I am no rich man but I haven't really noticed the increase in shooting that much.True I have always stayed stocked up with components so I am shooting at 2 or 3 year old prices but if it cost me $20 a day more to go shoot 4 rounds I think I can manage.If you guys are like most shooters I know you could sell 3 guns this year still have 20 left and shoot on the proceeds.Shoot less,enjoy it more and things will work themselves out.Cheer up do what you can for the cause and if nothing else just enjoy the friends you have made through the sport.Stop the sky is falling bit please.This is the greatest country on earth by God's will and it will remain so a few bumps in the road aside.I just had to get that off my chest.Hope I did not offend but maybe inspire or at least point out the incesant whining that is not what people like us should do.We will all be fine if we make thje effort.Thanks for reading and have a good summer.

Darr Wilson

20. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Every time the "Boo Hoo" birds start crying on this site prices drop. Oil down to $140 a barrel, gas down to $3.89, diesel @ $4.59 and shot $20 per 100 reg. targets this weekend. Drove by 2 golf courses and there lots were full. Drove by the Mall yesterday and lot was 3/4 full and those people didn't walk there. Went to 2 restaurants yesterday for lunch anc couldn't get in they were packed with a waiting line. This is in depressed Michigan where the recession started 3 years ago.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.