1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Price for wheel weights

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by richrob, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richrob

richrob TS Member

What is a good price for wheel weights, I know I have read $15 per bucket, but I can't seem to find that.

A local recycler wants $0.60/lb for wheel weights. If only 75% of the weight is usable that makes it more like $0.80/lb, I have a hard time paying that considering all the work I still have to do to make it into shot.

Also, I know I read it before, but why not use lead from old batteries?

Thanks, Rich

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I would be warry of batteries, all the work to get rid of the liquid/acid ect. Just dealing with lead is enough. I pay up to 30.00 for a full 5 gallon bucket as long as its clean. No trash/oil/water filled buckets. average is 20.00 I still get most of my lead free from people I know. You need to get to the tire shops before recycler does. He most likely is taking the lead for .30/lb. Now has to turn a profit.

3. richrob

richrob TS Member

I went to all the tire shops in the area, most sell to a recycler and have no interest in changing that. I have one that is just giving me what he collects and another that will sell them too me. I just dont think I am gonna get the quantity I need to make it all worth while. -Rich

4. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Going price last week was .62 in mich and wisc. Good Luck

5. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

I get them for $10 a bucket at one tire shop another that gives them to me for free, then one that will sell to me I have to beat the scrap man there they haven't given me a rate yet. I hate that guy he got my last bucket, and I am running pretty low on lead.

6. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I ask a fellow shooter last week, who has made tons of shot, he said 35 cents/lb. Dealers pay 4 cents and sell for 35 cents. He also stated he has lost five sources recently, it has become big business and he is being squeezed out.

7. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

He lost his sources because of price. Why would they sell for .35 when they can get .65 all over? DUH !

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

very tough, need friends in the know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.