1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Preventing recoil pad blowout?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Maybe a strange question, but here goes. I have a horrible problem with recoil pads tearing or blowing out at the heel where the rubber meets the plastic. I've had this happen with a number of pads over the years of different mfg, and have also had friends use the exact same pads with no problem whatsoever, so I'm sure the fault of the way I mount my gun (I mount the recoil pad fairly low in my shoulder). Anyways, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to alleviate this issue (without changing my gun mount). So far, one idea I came up with is after the pad is ground and fit, dip the pad in Plasti Dip (the stuff you use for tool handles) about half way up the pad, a little more than enough to cover the joint b/w the rubber and plastic portion of the pad, in theory, strengthening this joint.

I'm sure I'm not the only guy that this happens to, and I'm wondering what others have done. I've seen/heard of people using shoe goo, super glue, and/or silicone to piece the pad back together after its already torn, but I'm hoping to be able to prevent it from tearing in the first place...

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

You're right. My Model 12 has the same problem with Kick-eze pads!!

3. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Sounds like a friction problem. Does your belly get in the way? Some pads have a plastic insert at the heel.

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Don't have much of a belly to get in the way :) Pad doesn't touch anything until it hits my shoulder. I think its more caused by the rubber flexing over the sharp edge of the plastic when compressed.

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Gun care chemicals can attack recoil pad materials and soften them so they lose a grip in their mounting plates. It doesn't take direct contact with the chemicals nor does it take a long period of confinement in a closed cabinet or gun case for the VOCs to start to attack the pad.

MK

6. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Well known traveling gunsmith showed me a trick some years ago that may be relevant. Paint top and sides of recoil pad with clear nail polish to stop pad from "grabbing" jacket/shirt. Will crack and wear with use but just recoat as necessary. We do it on hunting guns also.

7. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Put moleskin or Velcro on the pad.
    Steve Balistreri

8. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

Kick-Eze makes a product just for this. It's called Slick-Eze and comes in a kit. You use the cleaner to prepare the pad and then apply the product. Clean, apply, wait 24 hrs and you are good to go. Be sure to paint only the surface of the pad and not the side. After you have shot it for awhile the surface will look like shattered glass but that doesn't change it's performance. It's very tenacious. I've used it for years.

It's available from Midway and it's pricey $29.00 per kit but one kit will do several pads.

Michael

9. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I'm with Eddie' on this one. I'd say you have a pitch issue.

ss

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

My Model 12 spends it's life sitting in the gun cabinet. This is the second time the toe of the recoil pad has cracked while it's dreaming of going shooting again!!

11. Country Squire

Country Squire TS Member

skeet man, You might try a differant style of pad. I prefer the Kick-Eez rocker style as it fits in the shoulder pocket better for me. I also set my guns on the barrels in the safe instead of on the recoil pads. They don't squash the pads down and if there is an excess of oil it runs down the action instead of the wood. Hope this helps George

12. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"Kick-Eze makes a product just for this. It's called Slick-Eze...

It's available from Midway and it's pricey $29.00 per kit..."</i></blockquote>Of course it's pricey; it comes from Midway. Only Brownells would charge more.

Gamaliels sells the same thing for $10 less:<I>Slick-Eez from Gamaliel</i>

MK

13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Tough to beat Geoff's prices at Gamaliel.

Matt

14. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I also think it a fit issue. I would try a pitch spacer. They are cheap and it will help with the gun fitting you shoulder pocket.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

nail polish on shotgun recoil pad

recoil pad oil

using plasti dip for making a recoil pad

using shoe insert for shooting pad