1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

***********PRESSURE??????????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Capt. Morgan, Mar 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

The last school I went to (Nora Ross-Martin) the topic came up and I believe it was Randy Martin who offered that about 5 pounds of pressure was about right. Never did get to ask how to measure that but I'm sure a way could be found.

I was taught to apply enough pressure that you would begin to feel discomfort if you apply any more, the whole point being that you don't want to be able to apply MORE pressure without intending to during the shot but that you need to be able to duplicate the amount of pressure applied time after time. If I get into the gun hard enough that I don't want to get into it any further without hurting my cheek, I can do that over and over all day.

Morgan

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Five pounds sounds much like a number pulled out of the air. What is the difference between firm and five pounds? Does this answer mean that four pounds is too light and six pounds is too heavy?

Pat Ireland

3. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

" Five pounds sounds much like a number pulled out of the air. What is the difference between firm and five pounds? Does this answer mean that four pounds is too light and six pounds is too heavy?"

I have no idea, Pat, but to me it's a better answer than "more than a little, less than too much". You'll have to ask the person who gave the advice how they arrived at the number.

I got the idea last night to use one of those portion control scales that dieters use to see if I can somehow duplicate and measure the pressure I apply...not that anyone else should do it...I'm just curious where the number came from and if it's even valid. I doubt Randy would answer an email.

Morgan

4. mike moncilovich

mike moncilovich TS Member

From an OLD DOG, as tight as you can, without causing jerking or other bad movements to the target...Mike

5. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

You need and amount of pressure sufficent to hold your eye in place long enough to mount, lock up and fire. I am surer that differs for each shooter.

6. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

very likely, if you ask 10 shooters, you will get 10 different answers.
    That's the funny thing about this sport and some others. As long as it gets the job done, it's ok.
    Just look at some of the real good shooters, some of them have styles that make you wonder how they ever hit a target. Doesn't really matter, as long as the basics are covered.
    If I'm not mistaken, one of the greatest shooters ever, Arnold Rieger, at least some of his shooting career, hardly had his face on the stock. However, during his hay-day, he owned most of the shooting records there were.
    My guess is the word, consistancy...just like shooting a bow-the anchor point needs to be the same each time for peak performance.
    I like to have considerable pressure on the comb, but concentrate on bringing gun up to face, not tilting face to stock-keeps your eyes more natural and upright.

Puablo

7. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

I'm just a little dog, but I use enough pressure to keep my eye stable. This is something I noticed during my dry fire sessions that one would not necessarily notice if all they shot were live fire.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.