1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pressure treated wood deck stains

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by JayZap, Jun 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JayZap

JayZap Active Member

To you guys that have used such products; what brand/type would be your recommendation? I am disappointed with what I have been using, and it is that time again.

2. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Penofin.

We used this on my son's deck and it lasted 5.5 years. In fact, I didn't think it needed it when we restained it this Spring. Glen Haege used to push it on "The Handyman Show", but last time I listened to him I think he had switched brands.

Only problem we had was locating some, out here in Podunk. A local lumberyard was nice enough to order us 4 gallon.

Good luck and try to stay in the shade. ;-)

3. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

I use natural tone Cabot. It isn't actually clear, more a honey color. Don't use a color stain, it shows footprints and looks terrible when it wears.

4. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

I tore my pressure treated deck out and went with "Trex". Been over 6 years now and never looked back. Looks as good as tghe day I installed it. Expensive, but well worth it.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

After building a new Pressure Treated Deck, how long should one wait before treating it? The wood I used was quite wet but it is drying out fast with this drought we are having in the Midwest. The deck has only been up a few weeks. Any advice.

6. G-12

G-12 TS Member

Consumer Reports magazine tested deck stains in the June 2012 issues. Among the
    best: BEHR solid color Deck, Fence and Siding Wood Stain sold at Home Depot for $28 a gallon, SEARS Weatherbeater Deck, Fence and Siding Stain at $21 a gallon.
    I went with the BEHR with good results. Good Luck! Ben

7. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Have used the Behr stain from Home Depot on a pole fence and went on well and held up well. I have tried it with a sprayer with a paint tank as well as a garden sprayer.

8. JayZap

JayZap Active Member

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.