1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pressure Limits - Sub-gauge tubes?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Pre-64, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pre-64

Pre-64 Banned User Banned

Is there a recommended PSI/ Pressure limit to follow when reloading for my Perazzi w/ Kolar sub-gauge tubes? 20 gauge? 28? .410?
    Thanks,
    J.C.

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

No. Load toward the lower end of the pressure spectrum and you'll be fine.

3. Gregg535

Gregg535 Member

One thing that got a lot of discussion on the skeet shooting web sites a couple of years ago regarded the use of Green Dot 20 gauge loads in the Briley subgauge tubes. While the loads used were perfectly good and safe in a standard 20 gauge gun, tube sets were cracking at a faster than normal rate. It was pretty much agreed upon (I think even by Briley) that it is better to use a slightly slower powder, like Unique or Universal Clays in the subgauge tubes, rather than Green Dot.

4. skeet_man

Green Dot is still ok, so long as you're using Federal hulls, or loading 3/4oz 20ga. Alliant has plenty of recipes for either of those, and the pressures are all pretty low. Green Dot in AA or STS hulls for tubes is a no-no.

5. Brad Korando

Brad Korando Member

J.C.

According to the Kolar there is a recommended limit. Here's what they say in the information included with the tube sets they sell, "We strongly recommend 20 gauge chamber pressure be maintained at less than 10,700 PSI." Kolar also provides a list of recommended 20 gauge loads based upon using Remington RXP & STS hulls and Winchester CF & HS AA hulls. The recommended powders included in the list are, Universal, SR7625 & WSF. The list includes recipes for loads that range from 9,800 PSI to 10,700 PSI.

Regards,
    Brad

6. skeet_man

Interesting. Never noticed that in any of the literature that I have. They must have started including that after my paperwork was printed.

Any chance you could scan and email that to me?

7. Brad Korando

Brad Korando Member

Sure, email sent.

Brad

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

20 ga pressure loads in tube sets

20 gauge loads recommended by kolar for tubes

20 guage maximum pressure

kolar sub gauge tubes

kolar tubes reloading