1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pressure and recoil

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 9point3, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

What is the relationship of peak pressure to recoil?

What is the relationship of the pressure curve shape and recoil?

It seems like a rapidly accelerating payload would recoil more than one that takes the whole length of the barrel to get up to speed

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Simple answer. None.

This is debated every 2 or 3 months here. Bottom line, Neil Winston did a double blind test, and nobody could tell the difference.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

There is a relationship. When the pressue is zero there is no recoil. As the pressure increases the recoil increases until the gun blows up. HMB

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

hmb,

You answer with that same, silly reply, every time.

OF COURSE, if you're using the same powder, the same hull, shot weight, wad, primer, and gun, and you add more powder, the pressure goes up and the recoil goes up (and the recoil goes up because the muzzle velocity also goes up NOT because the pressure goes up.)

But you know that's not what he was asking.

5. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Two major factors that effect recoil: Velocity & Payload.

Bryan

6. smokeater6844

smokeater6844 Member

I've seen these threads on recoil before and both sides make a good case. I don't believe I could tell with any accuracy if something was happening in 5 miliseconds or 7 miliseconds. That being said, my son started shooting trap a few years ago at the age of 12. We started experimenting with different powders,wads etc. We use 1oz of #8s. I am very methodical on the powder charge and lead drop, sticking to the advertised recipe to a "T".
    We had been using PB and decided to try some Titewad to cut cost a little. The PB load of 20.5 gr. with an advertised pressure of 7700psi. The Titewad 16.7 gr. was advertised as 9200 psi. Both called for the WAA12SL wad. Both loads were supposed to be 1200 FPS although I don't have a chronograph to compare the actual speed.
    We headed off to practice one evening with the new reloads. I had never mentioned anything to my son about a change in recoil. After the first box my son came to me and said he did not want to shoot these shells anymore because they made the gun hit him in the face.
    Now I don't know about all of the science involved in what makes recoil but, this example was as close as I can come to an equal comparison between two shells and my son told me there was a difference in the felt recoil.

Brian "Robbie's Dad"

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Brian,

The key is, you don't know the muzzle velocity.

I'm willing to bet money the Titegroup load has a higher muzzle velocity. And you just don't know until you measure it.

And good for you for getting Robbie started shooting.

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Didn't a guy named Newton write something on this back in the day!?

9. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Here are some charts to calculate recoil .......... note that NONE of them look at pressure!

http://www.10xshooters.com/calculators/Shotgun_Recoil_Calculator.htm

http://www.handloads.com/calc/recoil.asp

http://stevespages.com/brecoil.shtml

http://zknives.com/bali/brcstgn.shtml

10. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

It seems to reason that if an ounce of shot accelerates slowly to 1200fps compared to an ounce of shot accelerating quickly to 1200fps there would be some difference in the recoil(even if it cant be felt by the human shoulder)

11. dverna

dverna Active Member

Placebos "work" for some people. The mind is a wonderful resource.

In the end, perception is reality; and "facts" serve to confused the convinced.

Don Verna

12. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Part of it is definitional. To people, 'Recoil' means ... and ... and ... or ... or ..., but from a physics perspective, it is an expression of momentum, and pressure has no part in the calculation.

The shape of the curves with a fast v. a slow powder is different, but the difference to peak pressure is a couple of 10,000th of a second.

Bob

13. Old Doc

Old Doc Member

Robbie's Dad. Why don't you get some AA Lite and load to 1100 fps using the 1oz of 8s and the same wad. He'll like you even more. D Winter

14. Old Doc

Old Doc Member

Robbie's Dad. Why don't you get some AA Lite and load to 1100 fps using the 1oz of 8s and the same wad. He'll like you even more. D Winter

15. Old Doc

Old Doc Member

16. Old Doc

Old Doc Member

Robbie's Dad. I've used a lot of PB and I didn't get complete powder burning with one ounce loads. Maybe that is why they don't kick as much because it maybe slower. PB seems to like 1 1/8 loads better. Can't get the back button to behave and resends message. D Winter

17. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Old Doc, try the edit button? That should remove the extra posts.

Hap

18. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Velocity does not cause recoil,it's acceleration that does. Newton said so. It was Aristotle that thought it was velocity, but he was wrong.

I could care less if you can feel the difference, the math proves it. Whether YOU can feel the difference or not is up to you. That's why any human tests are a joke.

19. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

E=MV.

HM

20. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

It's MA. You can only use V if A is constant. It's first grade physics....look it up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

revitalock hair grow in johannesburg

what effects recoil more payload or velocity