1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Press ease of use?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, May 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

My shoulders are really shot to hell. No problem shooting, but reloading is getting to be a pain, literally.

Not ready to invest in a power press, but thinking of replacing my MEC 9000.

What press, in your opinion, is the easiest to cycle? Dillon, MEC, PW, whatever?

I'm leaning towards a Dillon with hull feeder. But really need to hear from you learned folks. Auto-Mate on a MEC might be the ultimate solution, but the paymaster won't quite go along with that.

What do you think?

And thanks!!

2. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

If you already have a 9000 wouldn't an Automate be a minor expense compared to a new Dillon? If your shoulders are shot the motion is going to hurt even if the pressure is less. Buy an Automate. It will make you glad you did.

3. capvan

capvan Active Member

Everyone I've talked to said it was a nightmare to get an automate set up with an existing press. They said to buy the whole rig, all set up. My existing press isn't perfect, sometimes get hang-ups when the wad gets seated. That may also contribute to the problem.

cap

4. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

Go with the auto-mate or I think better yet 9000H. Fast, easy and I have almost no issue"s.

5. crusha

crusha TS Member

Sounds like a candidate for Hydraulic. I'll tell you one thing...PW manual is NOT easy to cycle, despite any other benefits they may have.

6. Landshark

Landshark Member

The MEC Auto-mate is the way to go. I have sold 4 of them and my customers love them.

7. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I am in the same boat. I have an old Mec Hustler Hydaulic. I sit there at the bench,tap my foot,up & down it goes. Perfect loads,no powder variation at all,easy changeover to diff brand of shell or load. I can put the press unbolted on a small sheet of cardboard,on the hood of my car & run it.
    Look around for a good,low wear,hydraulic press & pump.

8. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Cap, I have what I think is the second generation Automate. It is the one he was making just before he sold to Mec. I have an 8567 Grabber and I had no huge problems getting it to work. I would start out with the auto-advance disconnected and use it like a Grabber until it is basically correct. I think a lot of the set up is just being mechanically proficient and observant. If you aren't then I wouldn't recommend it as a do it yourself project. All the Automates do the same thing, they just pull the "handle" down and then reverse direction and run it back up.

9. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

If your mec is operating OK, I don't beleive you'll have any problems with the auto-mate. The press just fits on the electric part and you attach the linkage as per the instructions. pretty simple operation for most people, and if you're already used to your mec and know how to adjust it, why change to something new where you have to go thru a new learning curve to get it to work as for as adjusting for shells etc
    I got one and love it.

Bob

10. twotimer

twotimer Member

Capvan, I haven't heard anyone ever talk about doing this, but I think it would be relativly easy (not saying I could do it) to engineer a linkage system that would allow you to use your foot on some kind of peddle. Not trying to steal your thread but has anyone done something like this? Mike

11. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Send your old MEC back to the factory for a tune-up and a new Automate......best thing you can do. I had mine done at the Grand, for the same physical reason you're asking about.

Kip

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

You can sit and load with a Dillon all day. They are smooth a silk, especially using STS shells. But I wish someone would design an automate type device to work on a Dillon SL. PW has them for every other Brass Dillon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.