1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Presidential news conference

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, Dec 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

If this isn't shooting related, I don't know what is.

Just finished seeing the presidential news conference.

Obama said we need back ground checks before someone can buy a gun. I thought we already had that with that phone call they make every time I buy something. Is he talking about individual sales or what?

He said new restrictions would come up in January and pledged that it wouldn't get buried in some study group.

We're doomed.

cap

2. Pre-64

Pre-64 Banned User Banned

By law...we are able to purchase guns from private individuals i.e., garage sales, gun shows, etc...
    To purchase a firearm from a licensed dealer/ FFL holder, we are required to complete a backgound check...This is known as "The" Gunshow Loophole...

3. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I could only stand to listen to the bumbling idiot for about 5 minutes

I will be damned if I can understand why people think he is such a charismatic speaker, if he doesn't have a teleprompter in his face he can't deliver one sentence without a dozen of two of ers and ums

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

There is nothing even remotely like a background check that is done on anyone so think again

We do a simple call in criminal records depository check- and if the crimes werent entered by the state or jurisdiction then they dont appear--- that is put together with a do not sell list and your clearance comes back within mins

There there is the gunshow deal - exemption or whatever

The tea party was responsible for the defeat of the republican party so you kind of get what you pay for

Regards from Iowa

Gene

5. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Armed individuals in schools (like a sky marshall on a plane) would deter more of these incidents. If they knew there was an armed, trained individual in that school with a firearm, the cowards would not show up. Remember they are expecting unarmed kids and adults, its time we are proactive and not reactive in this country, check out the Israelis, they already have it figured out. Scott

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rick -- good point--I wasnt asking for anthing just stating a fact about what is sometimes referred to as a background check-

Scott has it right about professionals

I do think you should have to have some training- that might weed some people out- that strawman purchasing might just be deterred by that- who knows

likes to shoot doesnt have anything of value or interest so forget him

What I do know is that we will all likely end up with BB guns if we dont come up with some plan of our own -- rather than just saying no change

Change is going to happen- the parents in this case are not going to be called stupid and told to sit down

In our gut I think most of us know something is wrong with the current system

Gene

7. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Gene,

Swallow some of your own metaphorical medicine, and tell us just how the TEA Party caused the R loss? Show proof. Otherwise, STFU! Attempting to hold conservatives to their campaign words, is not, I repeat, is not, disruptive. Right now, it may be revolutionary, but it will always be constructive to our freedoms.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
    George Orwell

The fact, that most of us already know, and some of us have recently learned is; "it's tuff to vote against Santa Claus." Even tuffer yet, to root out voter fraud. 59 precincts in Ohio, alone registered more Obumber votes than there were registered voters - 120% to 140% more. An eventual investigation will be buried.

A lot of us have been around long enough to remember your constant, incessant ramblings. IF you can't remember those days, thank the medication it's working for you! Thank your lucky stars that the Tea Parties haven't focused on Lawyers - yet!

Kip

8. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

"In our gut I think most of us know something is wrong with the current system"

Yep your right, its called Liberalism and the Democratic Party(communist)!
    The "lack" of punishment of known criminals and corrupt politicians!

There are to many gun laws, meaning there are some that need to be removed, but liberalism has trumped "common sense" now days!

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    We lost because the RINOs served up a crap sandwich and demanded everyone take a bite, overlooking the uneaten crap sandwiches named Dole and McCain.

10. Mark Gadbois

Mark Gadbois Member

Regarding private sales, in Illinois the seller must see/record the buyer's FOID card before the sale can be made. As I recall the seller has to retain records of the sale for 10 years. The FOID is Firearm Owners Identification Card. To get one took me 8-10 weeks (years ago) and the process is controlled by the State Police. I have not found it to be an onerous requirement (but I shoot skeet).

Also - you did notice that Obama gave the responsibility for doing the job to Biden. If Biden messes up then it is not Obama's fault - passing the buck again.

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

FFL records are forever.If you stop doing business ATF gets all your books and takes them home.

HM

12. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Until the real problem of trying to mainstream mentally ill people is terminated and those unfortunate folks get the help they need, this is going to continue on some level regardless of any new gun restrictions. A gallon or two of gasoline in a confined classroom exploding would be disasterous.

13. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Halfmile, I was an FFL from 1977 to 1994 and decided I did not want to be one any longer. I called the ATF and asked where to send my records and they told me to keep them forever, they did not want them back. Maybe it has changed

14. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

When I decided not to renew my FFL in 1993 I had to send my records to someplace in West Virgina.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.