1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

President issues 23 executive actions

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by James344, Jan 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James344

James344 Active Member

Just watched the coverage of Obama's news conference, then checked on his 23 actions. Click the link.
    Funny, he mentions a ban on assault rifles but nothing lisetd beyond mental health issues and background checks.

2. Skeeterzx

Skeeterzx Member

You link doesn't work......try the one I listed

3. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

I listened to his speech. He is directing the Center for National Diseases to study the mental health problems, and video game violence. He should have told them also to study what causes liberalism and liberalitis, and find a cure for it. Some of those orders are already been part of the law for years. A government program to promote a safety and responsibility program for gun owners? I think the NRA, ATA, NSSA, 4-H and so on, has been doing a pretty good job of it for years. I don't think the government can do any better than them.

4. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Looks more like about 5000 more federal employees at the trough to me. Keep your assault weapons, get some new 10 round mags and you appear good to go.

5. shadow

shadow Active Member

I too watched the "dog and pony" political show. Pathetic excuse for a leader !

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Obama is a paper tiger, most if not all of his executive orders are fairly benign.

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Notice he didn't mention gun violence in TV shows or movies. Has to protect his Hollywood elite.

8. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

When he was listing all of the recent mass shootings and their victims, he failed to mention the carnage at the military post by an admitted Muslim.

Was this omission intentional?

Nah.....just not on the monitors for him to read!

My $.02

9. C-Money

C-Money Member

"I think the NRA, ATA, NSSA, 4-H and so on, has been doing a pretty good job of it for years. I don't think the government can do any better than them."

Dont forget FFA!

10. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I watched as much of the POS as I could, as said what a dog and pony show

11. otnot

otnot Active Member

Here is the list:

The following is a list, provided by the White House, of executive actions President Obama plans to take to address gun violence.

1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.

2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.

3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.

4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.

5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.

6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.

7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.

8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).

9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.

10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.

11. Nominate an ATF director.

12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.

13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.

14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.

15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.

16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.

17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.

18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.

19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.

20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.

21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.

22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.

23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.

12. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Well, all that will add a lot more to the deficit and do nothing to stop mass killings or mentally ill from getting a gun

13. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

How do these 23 orders put people back in jobs, cut the deficit, cut entitlements, cut the spending, fix our credit rating, get rid of illegals, secure our borders, bring our troops home, lower taxes, etc.??????

14. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

It was a great diversion just like Sandy. He had something that took ALOT of Americans minds off of the recent election. Now I wonder how many of the hoarders will put their ammo, mags, and rifles back on the market after all this???

15. warren

warren Member

It's pretty clear the the Gov't is after guns and not prevention of phycos from getting them. In my opinion it's just a political play for more control and ultimatley taking all our guns. Violent movies and games are aparently ok.

warren

16. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Yup. The congress is stepping up to the line, as expected. The threat of impeachment was, so to say, "the first shot across the bow". The dictator has been put on notice.

17. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.

What does this mean?

18. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

It means that you can't sue your doctor for asking... but it also means you can POLITELY tell him/her it is none of his/her concern... You are not obligated to answer questions from your doctor. If for example a person goes into his doctor and states he would like a prescription sleeping pill do to stress from being unemployed for 8 months, and his dog died, that patient can not answer, deny, or lie to the physician about firearms in the home, etc.

It is none of their business, however, I have no problem with it being mandatory that if a physician(s) determine that an individual does have a genuine mental illness, drug addiction, or suffers from severe depression and needs a prescription drug that falls within certain a certain class of the drug spectrum to treat said illnesses, the physicians then have a mandatory obligation to immediately notify law enforcement in order that the information be entered into NICS which will put up a TEMPORARY red flag/hold on any firearm purchases.

Example, a fellow loses his job... he ends up getting treated for depression with drugs because it is so severe that he can't function otherwise, NO GUN PURCHASES, he recovers and is no longer under a physicians care, well the red flag gets removed from NICS.

A mentally ill person that life long drug prescriptions... NO GUN PURCHASE EVER.

Will this stop everything, NO... Will a very small percentage of people avoid going to a doctor and being diagnosed with a mental illness in order to not get a red flag? Maybe, probably, but sometimes, evil just can't be stopped no matter how many laws are on the books.

There needs to be language that if a physician does not provide the required information to law enforcement at time of prescription and then the patient commits a violent act, then the doctor is held culpable as in a conspiracy type scheme. But on the other hand, there needs to be language that will prevent doctors from being sued for inadvertent entry of derogatory information into NICS. Mistakes happen, people sometimes can't buy an airplane ticket because somehow they ended up on a NO FLY LIST. The legitimate people complain, an investigation occurs and they are taken off if not a threat. Life goes on...

This won't stop all gun violence from LEGALLY purchased firearms, but it will be a great start.

I don't have a problem with ALL firearm transactions going through a NICS check. I do think there needs to be language that the an FFL is required to conduct NICS checks between private party's and that they can charge a fee that doesn't exceed more than 10% of the final selling price of the firearm.

A guy selling a mossberg shotgun to another guy for a hundred bucks should get charged $10.00 not to exceed $25.00 for the gun dealer to call it in and fill out a form...

A guy privately sells a Merkel shotgun for $20,000.00 should not get charged more than $25.00.

19. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system

I guess that this means any veteran now who suffers from PTSD can be denied the right to buy a gun. Thats thousands. Not fair to veterans who fought wars in Iraq and Afganistan.

20. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Charlie,,,,,,,that is not his job.......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.