1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Prescription shooting glasses

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rmoran, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rmoran

rmoran TS Member

Hi,
    Have any of you used Leonard Maggiore, Optician to make your shooting glasses? http://www.rxshootingglasses.com/

He has a tint called "Sharp Site" that's kind of blue/green and says it does great in nearly all light conditions. This is important to me, because I can only afford one pair of prescription shooting glasses right now. I just want to make sure this is a reputable business...

Thank you,
    Remy

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I am in the same boat with a strong lens prescription so I went to Morgan Optical in Olean, New York for my glasses. They offer Ranger frames. Other manufacturers could not accommodate my prescription.

One caution I'd offer regarding color: just because a lens color works well for one person is no guarantee that it will work at all for someone else. I would not consider buying lenses of an untried color until I had the opportunity to look at targets under a variety of light, weather and background conditions through some kind of sample.

Unless the optician will give you a trial period where you can swap the lenses for another color, it's a big risk. I have tried some colors that friends have raved about and found them worthless to me. Any blue shade is one of those.

MK

3. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

I suggest you go to the best Ophthalmologist you can find in your area, tell him what you want, and get for an Rx. Usually your insurance will pay for all, or part, of the visit. Unless there's a very high recommendation, stay away from the frame salesmen at the shopping malls. Then, call Decot, (http://www.decot.com/) who will patiently guide you through the various choices, and consider selecting a frame/lens setup from them. Questions like target color, and your eye color (makes a difference) will be discussed with their very patient and knowledgeable folks...all on their dime. If you're a one eyed shooter, you only need to buy a single lens, plus a blank, and... you don't need to pay for bifocal lens(s) Good luck with your decision....mike

4. redbone99

redbone99 Member

I got mine at Morgan In Olean,NY. They are the Randolph Sporter that take clip on lenses for different colors.They talked me into a slight yellow tint on the glasses and I have the Vermillion clip on. I 'm very happy with these.The people at Morgan Optical are great to deal with. Dave

5. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Another ++++ for Morgan. I had trouble due to a big correction that one of their dealers sold me. Morgan made it right, no charge. 2 years later, I had eye surgery and Morgan recut their Special lenses from the clip ons and fit into their frame, once again NO CHARGE.

Great people to deal with.

6. Bill Stern

Bill Stern Member

Another vote for Morgan! I've used him for years, and he's easy to deal with, and knows shooters and what they need.

7. TjayE

TjayE Member

Does anyone recommend Dr. Rively for shooting glasses?

8. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Morgan Optical is the way to go. Call Wayne at 716) 373-0766. He will hook you up.

Jon Reitz

9. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

remy,

You have a PM.

Matt Woodson

10. seitz245

seitz245 TS Member

My vote goes to post 4

11. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

+1 for Morgan....have seen him twice and have 2 pairs of glasses from him.

Excellent guy!

12. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

MK's advice regarding lens color is spot on. If you are unsure of lense color the Morgan Optical clip ons are an excellent option. Wayne at Morgan Optical is very knowledgeable and a pleasure to speak too, give him a call.

Robert

13. rmoran

rmoran TS Member

Hey, thanks everyone for your input!! Really appreciate it...

Remy

14. Mapper

Mapper Member

Several years ago, I read an article in, Smithsonian, I believe, where they were testing people with different colored lenses. It seems that some people can see better with one color or another. Not just see to shoot, general vision seeing.
    I have never heard anything more about that, but wonder whatever happened to the research. Maybe all us old farts could see better.

15. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Another happy Morgan shooter, I use the sporter with clip on color. I have found that I do best with several different colors depending on light conditions. Low light/overcast light yellow. Bright sunshine CMT. I also use tgt brown and light purple. Best thing is when I need new script just one set of lens to replace. Jake

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

prescription shooting glasses optician