1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Prescription shooting glasses

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Sam (ATA Noobie), Jul 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

I know this thread has been covered 1,000 times, but I need some advice. I've been shooting with regular frames and tinted yellow lenses for a few years now with no real benefit.

I just got re-examined to get rid of my double-vision/cross-dominance issues, so I'm hoping to be able to remove the tape! (Right eye dominant, right handed, but I see two barrels).

I know the classics like Ranger, Zeiss, etc. but $100 for a different color lens hurts.

Does anyone have any feedback on these?
    http://www.opticsplanet.net/ess-ice-sunglasses.html

Comes with 3 lenses, and for $97, a prescription insert. Different lenses are only $13, but I'm concerned with the coverage area of the insert and the distortion when tracking a target.

If not, what would you recommend?
    I'm 21 and shoot for the ISU T&A team, so that is my main priority, but I also shoot IDPA/steel pistol matches, and quite a bit of long-distance rifle.

Thanks in advance,

Sam

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Each shooting discipline requires a specific strength perscription for the best performance. The right color lense is also very important for clay target sports. HMB

3. Rusty Razor

Rusty Razor Member

Sam of all the money I have spent trying to improve my scores shooting glasses have by far the best bang for the buck. I went with the Decot hy wyds- worth every penny can change lenses - shades and scripts without any problems. Jim Henry.

4. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Tried the ESS with prescription inserts and they are OK if you do not tilt your head forward much. Not enough height for me. Also, the attachment points for the lens seems to wear out in the frames. I had to Super Glue my yellow lenses in permanently. They work great for pistol and rifle shooting, but not for the clay sports. I went with the Randolph Ranger XLs and couldn't be happier! Check out Sportsvisions.com. They're great to work with!

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Sam

You have mail.

Tim

6. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

Thanks for all the good info, folks. Looks like you still get what you pay for.

I have the top-out problem with my current lenses because I do lean forward and end up seeing the frame and only using the top 1/4 of the lens.

Tim, thank you for the e-mail, I will certainly be checking out Post 4.

Oh, and I meant to say T&S team, but T&A works just as well ;)

Sam

7. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

I got a pair of Lehman frames with "Drive Wear" lens. The frams are an 8 base wrap style which give much better pheriferal vision and protection. The Drive Wear lens are polarized and photochromatic. They start out with a yellowish tint and become redder as the light increases. These glasses serve me well under foggy overcast condtins to bright sunlight. No extra lens to buy.

Lehman Optical (800-255-0205)

http://www.drivewearlens.com/engine.php

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The Hy Wyd Decots make an International frame that has an adjustable nose piece that raises and lowers the lenses. This allows you to look through the center of the lenses. HMB

9. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Sam,

Contact Maltzie (TS contributor) at Clear Target Optics Company.

http://cleartargetoptics,com

1-800-248-9991

He is a trap shooter and will answer your questions re: Rx lens for shooting. He did a set for me and I couldn't be more pleased with our dealings, the advice, the product and the price. Even my local eye guy, when I was getting a new prescription, recommended dealing with him for the shooting glasses.

A stand up guy that knows his stuff.

HBT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.