1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Prescription Shooting Glasses

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 03a3, Aug 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 03a3

03a3 TS Member

I am looking to acquire good prescription shooting glasses for my 14 year old son. He is at the point that he is shooting trap and/or skeet just about every weekend so I don't mind making the investment. Any recommendation and advise anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated, including recommended models/manufacturers and where to buy.

Thanks,
    Craig

2. Krieghoff100

Krieghoff100 Member

Highly recommend Morgan Optical (www.morganoptical.net) ! Give Wayne or Harold a call at 800-594-0175 and you won't be sorry. These guys are opticians and shooters One of the best shooting investments I've made.

3. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

When I finally had to go to prescription lens I called Wayne at Morgan optical. We talked at great length and he explained everything I wanted to know including a recommendation for what color to go with if I was only going to buy one color. Cataract surgery is in my future so I didn't want to spend a bunch of money on something that likely will change again when I get the cataracts removed. He recommended that I start with orange color. As of now I do not have any plans to buy another color because the orange is great for both daytime and shooting under lights. I am extremely pleased with the color and glasses.

Just keep in mind that what works great for me may or may not be great for you or anyone else. I am just telling what my experience was and the personal service that I got from Morgan optical. I have no connection to them what so ever other than buying my first prescription glasses from them. Quick service and nice to deal with.

Their phone number is 1-800-594-0175 if you want to contact them. I have attempted to insert their website address in the website URL box above.

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Another vote here for Decot. I have been shooting them for 30+ years with Rx lenses and not any problems, ever. I have had to buy new lenses as my prescription changed, but, at $110 per set, I just keep changing them. I just received 2 new sets of lenses that I had them do a prescription change. Total cost for 2 Rx lense sets (blue ice, and bronze 2), shipped to me? $231.00...... Just my preference.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

Post 4..
    He did a great job for me!

6. Switchblade327

Switchblade327 Member

I know your question didn't mention contact lenses, but if they will work for your son I would recommend them. I've used both prescription Decot lenses in several colors and non-prescription lenses with contacts. When you look through prescription lenses, no matter how good they are, you will look through a different spot in the lens as your eyeball moves around in its socket. Looking through different spots on the corrective lens may provide different levels of correction (and distortion). Since a contact lens moves with the eyeball, the correction is always the same. And, you won't be buying new shooting glass lenses with every change in your son's prescription. cls

7. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I too would have recommended Morgan IF they would answer their phone, I had been VERY pleased with their service until they were bought out. I needed new Rx lenses a couple months ago but when I called (several times) I got their answering machine I did leave my contact info never did get a response so I went elsewhere and got my lenses. I'm probably the only one that has had this happen but they lost a sale and customer. Ross Puls

8. rmctaggart

rmctaggart TS Member

try cleartarget optics company 1-800-248-9991 e-mail maltzahn@iowatelecom.net steve maltzahn is a great guy and a shooter and will talk to you with no hard sell just try to help you get the right glasses for you son. bob mctaggart

9. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

1) contact morgan optical
    2)look at the ranger sporters----the script becomes the base lense--colors are clip ons
    3) since the shooter is 14 his script will be changing , this way you only have to change the base lense

Phil Berkowitz

10. Ron Gillatt

Ron Gillatt Member

I agree with 'Switchblade 327' regarding Contact Lenses. At 14 your son would probably adapt quickly to either 'daily' or 'monthly' lenes. I recently went back to contacts after a break of over 30 years. I love them and with the Randolph Rangers that I bought I can see really well. No more pushing the glasses into place before shooting - always looking as if I had 'normal' vision. Just my opinion. These things are personal choices.

11. ONEDOLLARBILL

ONEDOLLARBILL Member

Morgans and he is a fellow shooter !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best prescription shooting glasses for trap
looking for great shooting glasses with prescription
perscription glasses for trap shooting
prescription shooting glasses
prescription trap shooting glasses
seemless prescription glasses good for shooting