1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Prescription shooting glasses

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Borg, Jan 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Borg

Borg Member

OK,
    So I know this has been tossed around not to long ago, but I would like some recommendations for prescription shooting glasses. Both the wife and I need to get some new specs.

Thanks
    Peter

2. Len in Phoenix

Len in Phoenix TS Member

I use and highly recommend Decot.

http://www.sportglasses.com/

Len in PHoenix

3. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

I use Decots. Great service, call them on the phone, read your prescription, no hassle. Good fit. But everyone has their own axe to grind. But they work for me. Good Luck, Charlie Henderson

4. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I am on my second pair of Decot. I like them very well. The 2nd time I even got Bifocals and they work great!

Allen

5. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Never owned Decot and probably won't. My first pair was post 4 and never again. I just didn't like them so I went to Ranger with autumn gold transition lenses and all I can say is wow. As good as it gets for me.

6. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I use Randolph Rangers lenses CMT-ORANGE-YELLOW-CLEAR-PURPLE-LITEYELLOW
    all prescription from Clarence Willis 740-504-9778 Custom Sportswear and Optical. And his special Missouri Plum

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Rangers from Wayne Morgan at Morgan Optical in Olean, New York.

Keller

8. Bill Stern

Bill Stern Member

Morgan Optical in Olean, N.Y. does great work with Randolph Rangers. Their phone number is (716) 373-0766.

9. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Get Randolph Sporters-but your script in the base lense & get tinted clip ons.

Phil Berkowitz

10. arend003

arend003 Member

Can't say enough how pleased I am with my glasses from Steve Matlzhan great service you can see them at cleartargetoptics.com

11. Brad Korando

Brad Korando Member

My prescription shooting glasses are Ranger XL's. I highly recommend Morgan Optical. I'm in Wisconsin and had no trouble at all with the fact that Morgan Optical is in New York. I called Wayne and he took me through the process step by step. The glasses arrived in a short amount of time and were perfect. I had a few follow up questions and he got right back to me. Terrific customer service!

Regards,
    Brad

12. redbone99

redbone99 Member

Morgan in Olean,NY Great to deal with!

13. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

The most important part of this discussion is the prescription itself. You need an eye doctor who understands the visual acuity required for a competition shooter. Non better than Frank Rively!!

14. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I've been dealing with Wayne Morgan/Randolph Engineering products for 12+ years... he's set up myself and all my guys and gals with plano & Rx sets as well as updated individual lenses as required... You can choose from having Rx lenses tinted or as others have indicated buy a set that uses an Rx insert - Sporter and XLW - and then use plano lenses...

There is a Lifetime warranty on Randolph's family of frames as well as Wayne and Harold Morgan's superior service... (800)594-0175

Olean NY

Unequivocal recommendation

Jay Spitz, Naperville IL

15. bob easton

bob easton TS Member

All of the recommended providers have excellent reputations.

A bit of extra info before you go shopping might help...
    The material used does matter!

Your non-shooting prescription glasses are likely made of a material called CR-39.
    Most shooting safety glasses are made of polycarbonate.

CR-39 has excellent visual acuity properties, but poor impact resistance.
    Polycarbonate has great impact resistance but less than optimal visual acuity properties.

A new material, called Trivex has the visual acuity properties similar to CR-39 and good impact resistance.

Ask for Trivex.
    --
    Bob Easton

more info in this thread: http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/sthread.cfm?threadid=272639&Messages=11#1114126

16. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Don't forget that the optical properties of Trivex allow lenses made of it to be thinner and thus, lighter, than CR-39 or Lexan lenses. That's a big plus for people who have prescriptions on the stronger side as shooting glasses tend to have much larger lenses that street glasses.

Keller

17. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

I bought my first pair of shooting glasses from Bud Decot more than 40 years ago and was more than pleased with each pair but when Bud retired I had a couple of less than stellar experiences and moved on.

Bud was one of the really good guys you can run across shooting shotguns.

18. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

Very timely subject, thanks for asking this question.

I have another... when you order glasses from a person who is not your optometrist, how do
    they figure out the "exact" center of the optical lense? For instance, I would imagine we all right hand shooters would want the center of the correction to be in line with our front sight picture.

Right? How do the mail order glass guys figure this out?

Thanks
    Art

19. larrystrollo

larrystrollo Member

Art - they ask you to have someone local measure you and then you give them those dimensions.

My first set of Rx shooting lenses came from Morgan, and I can say I was satisfied. However with my new set and Rx I am using a local guy that is a shooter and caters to shooters, and he is doing a lot of things that can't be done over the phone (measurements, watching me mount my guns, fitting the frames perfectly, etc), and also tinting while I am there and we are looking at birds through the glasses to make sure the color enhancement is right for me.

With all due respect to the many skilled practitioners that do a fine job from afar, I can say that going through this all in person now, I'd never do it any other way, even if it meant traveling to someone's shop.

Larry

20. Borg

Borg Member

Thanks all for your take. Lots to consider.

Peter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trapshooters best prescription shooting glasses