1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Prescription shooting glasses?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SouthMetro Shooter, Aug 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SouthMetro Shooter

SouthMetro Shooter TS Member

Hello everyone. I'm looking for prescription shooting glasses or glasses that take prescription inserts. I have tried shooting with contacts but my eyes get too irritated on hot days. I'm lookin to spend around $150 to $200 total. Which I understand isn't very realistic. But any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Matt.

2. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

Decot or Ranger both make excellent glasses in RX. Look thru a pair with inserts before you buy as some people myself include find the edge of the inserts very distracting.
    Good luck.

3. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

I used Morgan Optical in Olean, NY and they did a nice job for me.
    Sent them my prescription, and they sent me the lenses in the colors I asked for plus the frame I requested.

They are shooters and cater to the needs of shooters.

Use the link above to see their website.

716-307-1576 direct/voice mail
    800-594-0175 office

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

4. 870

870 Well-Known Member

+1 for Morgan Optical, fantastic service. I found that the RX I had from my Doc for my regular glasses was no good for shooting glasses due to the size of the lens and the material. Morgan Optical discussed it with me at length over the phone, figured out what changes were needed and mailed me new lenses. Great to deal with.

5. SouthMetro Shooter

SouthMetro Shooter TS Member

What would be a rough estimate on them do you think? I have an astogmatism which is why contacts bother me. Otherwise I have moderate vision.

6. PULL PULL

PULL PULL Member

No bi-focal. Which is what I recomend. 200 bucks. Morgan optical is a good outfit to deal with. So is decot.

7. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

this is my personal advice to anyone needing prescription shooting glasses. I pissed away close to several thousand $$'s changing prescription colors every other year.

Try this get a base clear lense in a Ranger sporter & get whatever colors float your boat in clip ons. When your script changes--just get new base lenses. Morgan Optical worked with me --just fine.

Phil Berkowitz

8. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

I'm using Decot and am pretty happy with them. Considering a switch to Pilla, anyone have any experience with them? HJH

9. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

I switched from Decots after 30 years because the Sebrings felt better to me and the Hy-def and max orange worked great for me. I hated to change because Decot had never let me down once in all those years.
    The Pilla lens is on a par with Ziess and Serengetti which in my opinion are heads and shoulders ahead of anyone else but they have limited colors.

10. tomr1

tomr1 Member

Where can I look for clip ons that go directly onto my prescription glasses?

11. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Tomr1-send your scripts to Morgan Optical-he'll put the script on a Ranger sport & then you can get all the colors you want on clip ons.

Phil Berkowitz

12. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

I went to the Ranger Sporter from Wayne Morgan several years......clear prescription lens with progressive bifocal. Regular prescription glasses probably wont be adequate because the lens won't be large enough & the focal point will be too low.

When I arrive at a shoot I put on my shooting glasses & wear them all day.....even to read small print if need be....the bifocal part is no bother at all because it's way below the target focal point. Clips from Morgan Optical are very well built & run about $50, I think, & offer just about any color that you might need.

I shoot several different clays sports & also hunt with them......for me they have been a good choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

prescription shooting glasses ranger edge

prescription shooting glasses ranger