1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Prescription Lenses

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by StonewallRacing, Apr 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Went to see the eye doc yesterday and he says that I could use some glasses for distance. (20/30 in shooting eye!)

I talked to him about shooting.... He said it could help a little, we talked a lot about RX lenses.

I have a pair of Ranger XL's (66mm) with four sets of lenses and thinking of getting a 5th. (CMT)

I see more Post-4 and Decot for RX lenses than Rangers?

Is there a good place to get one or two sets of RX lenses for the Rangers or should I sell and look at one of the others??

There are plenty of people with opinions around here, let's hear some!

SW

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

It is hard fo rme to giv eyou an opinion since I only have experiencw wiht Decot's. I am like you in that I am 20/30 most of the time. About 1 out of 20 tiems I go to shoot, I am 20/20 in my right eye and in that case I have a set of plano lenses.

3. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Ask someone who sells them if the RX insert for the XLW's would work in the XL's.

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

5. GTI-Tom

GTI-Tom Member

Here is my web site....I would go to the XLW with the insert. Far less expensive if you ever have to change your Rx. I would be glad to discuss options and give you some insight. No obligation to buy, I shoot and can help in trying to get the best quality frames and lenses.

Tom

www.texasshootersoptical.com

6. GTI-Tom

GTI-Tom Member

Here is my web site....I would go to the XLW with the insert. Far less expensive if you ever have to change your Rx. I would be glad to discuss options and give you some insight. No obligation to buy, I shoot and can help in trying to get the best quality frames and lenses.

Tom

7. GTI-Tom

GTI-Tom Member

Tom

8. GTI-Tom

GTI-Tom Member

Tom

9. GTI-Tom

GTI-Tom Member

Tom

10. Derek Stringer

Derek Stringer Member

Stonewallracing,

Hello, my name is Derek Stringer. I have been shooting for Post 4 Optics for 9 years now. When I began I had no prescription and was very impressed with their product. A few years ago I had to get a Rx and so I gave them a call. They sent my lenses out and they impressed me beyond expectations. There clarity is second to none.

Recently I had the chance to go to their lab where their lenses are made and see how it all works. There Rx lenses and Plano lenses are ground down from very large Zeiss blanks of CR39. It's is amazing how they take such a large blank and end with such precise optics. All lenses are custom ground to the customer's prescription. Every aspect is looked over and checked.

I was so impressed that in early 2010 I became the direct on the road representative and full time dealer for them. I have staked a large investment and truly believe in the quality and customer service of this company.

There new glow lenses that were shown in Trapshooting USA magazine are unmatched. The define targets better than any lense that I have looked through. They bring out the orange/red light spectrum and truly define the target.

We can cut lenses for your Ranger frames. Our frames are titanium and very dependable.

If you are interested in seeing these products I will be at a number of large shoots this year including the Soutwestern Grand this coming week. Other Shoots that I wiil be attending are as follows:

Ron Hoppie Memorial, Missoula, MT

Missouri State Shoot Linn Creek, MO

Great Lakes Grand Mason, MI

Vernal June Shoot Vernal, UT

Illinois State Shoot Bunkerhill, IL

Ohio State Shoot Marengo, OH

Wyoming State Shoot Torrington, WY

Montana State Shoot Great Falls, MT

Western Zone Anaconda, MT

Iowa State Shoot Iowa Homegrounds

Central Zone Bunker Hill, IL

Grand American Sparta, IL

Heartland Grand Ackley, IA

Northeastern Grand Cicero, NY

Missouri Fall Handicap Linn Creek, MO

Thanks for looking and I hope that I gave you an adequate amount of information. You may contact me by PM, E-mail (listed above), or phone (406) 565-0410. Looking forward to hearing from you. Respectfully, Derek Stringer

11. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

As far as a lens bringing out the color of orange, I would put the ranger CMT up against any of them.

12. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

Lehman optical will make up just about any lens color, hi def or polarized for any frame.

13. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

Post4 the best!! Jerry

14. brownk80

brownk80 Member

I have all three and they are all good, BUT Mike at Post4 has been outstanding in terms of help and suggestions and service so I only go to him now. He makes lenses for any frame. One comment on the CMT lenses. I have a pair and they are great if it is absolutely, totally, nothing but bright sun. If a light haze or cloud comes over while you are shooting you start to feel like Helen Keller trying to find her cane and her dog at the same time. Try the Post 4 version of vermilion (sp). It has some red in it and I have heard it referred to as Vampire Red but don't know if that is for real or not. Call Mike Rinard at 1.800.833.6362 and he'll even suggest the best color for your particular targets and background.

Shoot well.

Brownk80

15. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestions!!

I believe I have a plan for lenses.

SW

16. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I'll add my 2 cents...

I shoot with Ranger XLs and use contacts... unless you have a tremendous astigmatism (worse than me?!) which can't be corrected, I'd use contacts with plano lenses for a couple of reasons....

One - polycarb lens material... CR39 has the edge in optical clarity, but CR39 has little impact resistance and you're buying glasses first and foremost for eye protection. #2 polycarb material is 100% UV protection built in.

Two - CMT issues with Rx. Do a search. Any number of folks have had less than stellar results using CMT in an Rx - don't understand that, but it is what it is...

Lastly, Sporter-type frames have added weight... see if you can borrow a pair from a shoot vendor with a plano clear and plano color and then wear them while shooting - see you how you like them?!

You already have a fine frame set up... contact lenses for a year might run you $80-100 after rebates - what happens when your Rx changes again?! And it will...

Go down that road once, and you may as well keep going the rest of your life...
    As for a vendor... I and my guys are very happy with Morgan Optical also!

regards,

Jay

17. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

Everybody has different eyes. My CMT's are not dark enough on bright sunny days. I have to switch to polarized lens. CMT's work best for me on overcast days. That's when the orange is really amplified. Mine are RX and they seem to be as good quality in resolution as my other RX lens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.