1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

prescription lens help

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by tcr1146, Mar 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

I need practical help from you guys! The time has come that I want prescription shooting glasses both for distance and up close! My existing shooting glasses are fine for shooting but somewhat comical as I watch TV with shooting glasses with my readers close at hand! The question is: Do I need plain old bifocals in order to shoot trap and handgun or would I be better off to go with the new "transition" type lens?! Thanks, Tom Rhoads

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

For handgun shooting with iron sights you need a perscription that is a little weaker than your reading glass perscription. You want the sights to be in focus while the target is blurry. Trap shooting is just the opposite, you want the target to be clear and sharp. It is best to have glasses made for each sport. HMB

3. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I use prescription Bi-focals that I bought from Decot. As I am near sighted the Bi-focals work great for reading score sheets, etc. yet are what I need for the shooting.

Get your prescription from your "Eye Doctor" to send to who ever you get to make your lenses.

(My first shooting glasses were not Bi-focals and that was a mistake!)

I am not familiar with the "transition" type lenses however.

Allen

4. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

Bi-focals will just mess you up,when it comes to shooting,your shooting a gun not reading a book.Transition lenses are ok for every day sun glasses if thats what you want,but dont for get that shooting glasses have a different focal point and are designed for the task at hand.What happens with bifocals at least with me is,when I mount the gun Iam looking thru the bottom of the glasses and cant see a thing.But at least I have an excuse for shooting a bad score.Good luck break'em all..Ray

5. hoot619

hoot619 Member

I wear bifocals and have the bifocal line placed as low as possible in my glasses

it works out very well. (edited -low it is out of the way) Usually they want to

put the line way too high, it even

bothered my driving especially when tired. this way it doesn't. Ken U

6. Dave S

Dave S Active Member

Do you mean no line bifocals instead of lined bifocals? I would go with lined bifocals as you know where they end. I use the plastic stick on bifocal lens on my shooting glasses you can buy at walmart for about $15. They come in different strengths and are trimable to fit. Put them on 3 years ago and they are still there never had a problem.

7. pedagogue

pedagogue Member

For pistol shooting get the transition glasses. You can and will learn how to adjust your head to see the sights in focus. For trap shooting with these glasses you will be looking through the top and not using the bifocals. For rifle shooting get a scope. Hope this helps. jack melitsky

8. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

For those that complain that they "see the bifocal" when shooting trap, their bifocal is set too high!

As I mentioned above, I have the bifocals and I don't see/look through the bifocal unless I am looking down.

When I had the first shooting glasses without the bifocal I was having to raise the glasses and look under them anytime I wanted to see anything close.

(I am near-sighted i.e. I can see close but not at a distance)

Allen

9. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys! By the way, the stick on reader glasses sounds good! Are you sure Walmart has them?! Tom Rhoads

10. goosedowner

goosedowner Member

I wear bifocal glasses and last year I used cheap weak reading glasses to shoot with. IT SUCKED, it was a little better then no prescription but not by much.
    Yesterday I bit the bullet and drove 1 1/2 hours to talk with Wayne Morgan of Morgan optical. After I left I kicked myself for not going to see him two years ago. Wayne is making me two sets of prescription lens for trap, one vermillion and one light yellow. Both of those have bifocals in them.The bifocal is about the size of a dime and is at the very bottom of the lens. He is also making me a set of light yellow lens for pistol shooting. Wayne had me aim my pistol at a distant target, the rear sight was blurry but I could see the target fine. Then with out moving he held one of his lens in front of my home prescription glasses and then I could see both sights and the target fine.
    Don't make the same mistake that I did and wait to get Real shooting glasses.
    Give Wayne a call I know you'll be happy.
    http://www.morganoptical.net/

11. Dave S

Dave S Active Member

I found the stick-on bifocal lenses in the pharmacy dept. where they sell the reading glasses. They are in a box that state MAGNIFYING LENSES then in small print stick-on Bifocal. Made by Neoptx,LLC. Miramar,Fl. This was 3 years ago. I put their link above.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.