1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Preparing wild turkey

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Turkey Hunter, Apr 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turkey Hunter

Turkey Hunter TS Member

Hey Guys how about some of your recipes for wild turkey?

2. Mismost

Mismost TS Member

I use a traditional method and stuff with a wet dressing and use a Brown-n-bag...this keeps it moist and it always turns out good. Without the bag, wild turkey can get real dry, real fast!

3. BwanaND

BwanaND TS Member

Cut it into chunks, spice up some flour, moisten and roll said turkey in the seasoned flour and deep fry. Serve with the sauces of your choice for dipping.

Another variation and one we did last night was to chunk it up and use "Shake and Bake" and cook it in the oven for 20 minutes.

Good stuff.

4. BwanaND

BwanaND TS Member

Cut it into chunks, spice up some flour, moisten and roll said turkey in the seasoned flour and deep fry. Serve with the sauces of your choice for dipping.

Another variation and one we did last night was to chunk it up and use "Shake and Bake" and cook it in the oven for 20 minutes.

Good stuff.

5. BwanaND

BwanaND TS Member

Good stuff.

6. BwanaND

BwanaND TS Member

Good stuff.

7. mollyone

mollyone TS Member

in a glass pour over ice sip with your main squeeze

8. mrpheyed

mrpheyed TS Member

skin it, bone it, chunk it, remove any shot. make it into a turkey pot pie w/veggies and a pie crust. Tim

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

skin it, bone it, chunk it, remove any shot. make it into a turkey pot pie w/veggies and a pie crust. Then give it to the dogs and eat the pie pan....Hum..good.

10. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

EE, I said the same thing to the Turkey Hunter when he was asking about the best call. Funny.

I always just breast the bird and take the two nice pieces of meat home. I also take the beard and the fan.

Picking shot????

You shoot them in the head, you should have no shot in the breast.

We make is all kinds of ways:

1. Set-it-and-forget-it<br><br>
    2. Smoke it in the Little Chief<br><br>
    3. cut it into strips and make Turkey tenders<br><br>
    4. Marninate and grill<br><br>
    5. chunk it and make stir fry<br><br>
    6. etc...<br><br>

Whats your recepie??

11. acre44

acre44 Member

Deep fried whole breast on the deck in my turkey deep fryer. Man is that tasty and moist!

12. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

First grill two beef fillets on the BBQ. Second, give the turkey to some one else.

13. Big Lar

Big Lar TS Member

Go to the website for tast of home cookbooks - it is www.tasteofhome.com. At their home page they have a key word search - search for "roast wild turkey". The recipe calls for stuffing the turkey with sliced apples, making a sauce which you pour over the turkey, dump a couple of pounds of potatoes and carrots around the bird, and cook in the oven covered for about 3 and 1/2 hours. Since we discovered this recipe about 5 years ago, I make all my turkeys with this recipe. Have given this recipe to a number of friends who also really liked it. Stuffing with apples makes the bird very moist and the potatoes and carrots pick up the taste of the sauce. No kidding - best turkey recipe I have ever had. Even quit deep frying after trying this.

Big Lar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.