1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

preparing pheasant

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Turkey Hunter, Apr 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turkey Hunter

Turkey Hunter TS Member

What is a good way to grill pheasant that will taste good?

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Use any chicken recipe you like.

I pan braise mine in a cast iron pan, (nothing cooks like cast iron) with onions, salt, pepper and celery salt once you make the gravy.

I sear it some to carmelize a little of the outer meat, then simmer for an hour or so till it's almost falling of the bone. add a little water from time to time to keep at least a quarter inch on the bottome of the pan.

Then add Flour and water (shake well before adding) for the amount of gravy you want, it will thicken fast so have some extra water hany if it gets away from you. Season to taste. I have to have mushrooms in the gravy, and mashed potatos along with home made bread and a luxury vegetable like Asparagus, spinach, or cauliflower/broccoli with cheese sauce.

Darn, all this drool is going to mess up my keyboard.

HM

3. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

I shot some pheasant back during December and have tried cooking it numerous different ways. These were pen raised birds and none of them tasted right until......... I discovered the electric smoker! By far the best way to cook pheasant and brisket too.

Check out a smoker....

Mr. Mark

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Marinate them first, makes a world of difference. Pheasant tends to be very dry but not if fixed right.

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Bone out the bird. Save the boneless breasts and the boneless thighs and relegate the rest to the stock pot.

Make stock, reduce to demi glace.

Pan sear room temperature boneless breasts and thighs, skin side first, for 90 to 120 seconds per side, in butter with a touch of olive oil. A 3mm copper skillet over a burner outputting 12,500 to 17,000 btu works best.

Place cooked breasts and thighs in a 180 degree warming oven. Deglaze pan with white wine and optionally a shot of Larresingle XO Armagnac. Reduce and pour over pheasant.

Alternately, add stock and make a sauce to go over rice or pasta, with pheasant topping.

6. flamborn

flamborn TS Member

Wrap in bacon and put on rotisseri (?sp) or as suggested any chicken recipe.

7. woodski

woodski Member

My recipe is a little simpler and but tastes really good. 1st pre-heat oven to 350 deg., get a covered pyrex dish big enough for all your meat and add 1 can each of cream of celery, cream of mushroom, & cream of chicken (or just two cans of favorite if you don't have alot of birds)and put in oven to warm up, start elect fry pan heating to 300deg. with you favorite oil covering the bottom 1/16", then bone out breasts and legs if you want, put 1cup flower in a large zip lock bag and add meat & shake around until all pieces covered with flower, then put in frypan turning until lightly browned on both sides, take out & put in heated soup mix in the coverd pyrex dish covering all pieces of meat wtih soon to be gravy and let cook for 1 1/2 hrs at 300deg. Get some stuffing or mashed patatoes ready for the gravey the soups will make, This recipe can be customized to your specific taste by adding spices to the sou/gravey or using different types of soups. The other guy was right, my mouth is drooling and I just made this last week with my wild pheasants & huns shot last season. UMMMMMMM!!!! Enjoy, Bob W

8. gridlock

gridlock Member

I'll second Woodski's recipe.I have shot and cooked hundreds of pheasants over the last 60yrs and,in my opinion,this is as good as you can get.Try it,you will like it.

9. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

Hey - pull/cut the breast off and throw the rest away - then slice the brest into thick slices like extra thick bacon, roll in egg and flower and fry in pure margarine -- is really great! the beav

10. corkcan

corkcan TS Member

You have to try this one! Fillet the breast off and place in zip lock bag with enough italian salad dressing to cover-marinate for 24 hours. Place on your gas or charcoal grill about 3-4 minutes per side. DO NOT OVERCOOK! and enjoy. This is my favorite recipe for pheasant.

11. frey

frey TS Member

TO ME PHEASANT IS GOOD COOKED MOST ANY WAY BUT I FOUND THAT COOKED IN A PRESSURE COOKER REALLY TENDERIZES THE MEAT AND IF SEASONED OK IT IS GOOD AS IT GETS.

12. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

mmmmm !

Have to decide which recipe to use; only have 1 bird in the freezer!

13. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Hey, don't forget those drumsticks! Score the skin around the leg above the joint and then bend back and forth several times and pull the foot off along with those damnable tendons. Good little tasty treat if you save the drumsticks up to just make a dish out of them alone. Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.