1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Prepaid phones

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by sliverbulletexpress, Mar 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I need to get a prepaid cell phone, which one is the best deal?

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

. . . and do they, the ones from "box" stores, have the coverage that the "name" phones - Verizon, Sprint, ATT - have?

Neil

3. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Walmart has some that have unlimited minutes for 50 bucks a month.

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

The best deal I've found is Net10. It is 10 cents a minute reguardless of how little or much you use it.

I use about $10/ month (100 minutes), not enough to warrent any sort of contract.

Their coverage is excellant as they use everyone's towers. You can add airtime via the web or store cards.

I should add that this is for my personal use. My company paid phone only gets used for company business.

ss

5. ouch

ouch Member

Trac-phone from Walmart, Never failed me. I had i phone damaged beyond repair and they were helpful converting the info to my new phone. Richard

6. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I agree with shortshucker. Net 10 is the way to go. I use the phone when I spend the summers in Wisconsin. I use it as my primary phone when I am up there and always had good reception. I use about $200 worth of minutes, ($.10 a minute), each year. That equates to $16.67 a month. I can't get cell phone service any cheaper than that. Also, I believe Trac-Phone and Net 10 have merged and are one company. Ed

7. missemucho

missemucho Member

If you have AAA check out their deal with consumer cellular. I use mine for emergencies only and the cost is $9.95 a month and .25 a minute. They also have packages with a set number of minutes at lower cost and NO contracts.
    John

8. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

The thing is this is for my elderly mother, I thought I could buy her an easy to use phone without her having to renew minutes every month. All of them I have looked at the minutes expire even if you don't use them, what a rip off!!! Although she still lives alone and insists on it, with her hearing and eyesight and diminished capacity I don't think she could ever get threw all the press one BS you have to go threw to renew the minutes, the first time they ask her if she want's Spanish she's going to throw the phone across the room. One brand I can buy a years worth for $99 but that is a waste as you wouldn't use 30 minutes in a whole year. I can't guarantee that I would always be around at the right time to buy more minutes for the next month. What I want is a phone I can buy a reasonable amount of minutes for and those minutes be good until she uses them all however long it takes. I know that's asking too much because the cell phone companies are a monopoly, what other service do you have to pay for in advance and if you don't use it they confiscate it and require you to buy the same thing again? What if you had to buy electricity for your house in advance and then tough crap if you didn't use it all? Yeh I'm a little aggravated.

9. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

Best Buy has a magazine that compares all the different plans from the different companies. It is very informative and offers some plans at reduced rates. You might want to review this brochure before making a decision. In addition, a friend of mine has great success buying used cell phones on ebay. Kim

10. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I have a Virgin (virginmobilusa.com) phone that I never canceled years back when I started AT&T with the wife.

It is $16.24 for three months and the minutes do not expire. I had to set the account up with a credit card and they automatically draw out the $16.24 every three months. My account gets bigger and bigger since I am not using it,

The first ten minutes each day cost 25 cents and after that the remainder of that day are 10 cents a minute. This is not for someone who talks on the phone a lot. I used it for years and never ran out of minutes as I used it very little. Just remember to keep your credit card expiration date current with your phone account information. Ray