1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Premium Wads vs. cheaper wads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by yendor12, Mar 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yendor12

yendor12 Member

I currently use a 1oz Rem tgt-12 wad and have good luck reloading and shooting.

Do you think the pattern is all that different when you use a replacment wad like a Green duster or a CB1100-12? Or any others??? Differences in reloading problems?

Of course I am trying to save a buck.
    I would like to hear your experiences with different wads used.

Rod

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

As long as you use the appropriate wad s for the hulls, I find no difference among brands and types ................ except for the Spolar Gold Wads!

A much higher grade of plastic is used in making them ... and you won't have to worry about plastic build up in your barrel!

3. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

yendor12:

If you are in the top five on the men's All American Team, using Claybusters, Dusters or similar replacement wads may cost you an target or two out of 100,000. For the rest of us mortals, the clones you reference are far better than our shooting skills.

sissy

4. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Take the cost of 5000 rounds of trap shot. Now add your gas to get back & forth to shoot those 5000 rounds. And the cost of other incidentals. And owning a gun worth many $1000's. Now subtract the cost of 5000 aftermarket wads from the cost of 5000 factory wads. You can see the tremendous amount you will save. If a pattern board shows better patterns with aftermarket wads,then that is a valid reason to use them. This fact I have dicovered after 50 years of shooting trap. Tom Lobonc

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Rod, over the past 6 years I've shot almost every wad there is, and patterned almost all of them.

Save yourself some grief. If you reload Remington STS or Gun Club hulls, use the TGT-12 and Fig-8 wads, or the DownRange manufacturing equivalent. I'll also say the 1 1/8oz Windjammer or DRM clone works extremely well. Everything fits properly and they produce extremely consistent shells. Save money by buying in quantity.

6. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

I think RunGunIPSC may have tried to slip in a little humor.

If you pay around $25 per hundred registerd targets, 5000 wil cost $1250. Using premium components it may cost around $4.50 for a box of 25 reloads. 5000 rounds (200 boxes) will cost $900. That's already $2150! Add gas, food, something toward your gun and equipment and you may be paying about $2500 for 5000 registered targets. (Yes that's 50 cents a target).

RunGunIPSC then says: "You can see the tremendous amount you will save". It's something like $30. Using those prices, 5000 aftermarket wads would save you the cost of about 60 targets.

Just trying to put it into perspective. And yes I do use Clay Buster wads in my Federal reloads.

7. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

I have not compared the Rem wads but I have the Win ones.

I found that the Downrange equivalent to the WAA12 showed no difference at the pattern board. Further more, at the 16yd line I could see nothing different either.

And when the load through the press, there was nothing different either.

However, I did notice a few extra bucks in my wallet when I use the Downrange ones.

I've also tried the Claybuster version and I did not like the way it loaded through the press but I could tell no difference in the pattern with them either.

8. RLC323

RLC323 Member

I had a fellow tell me that he believed the Federal 12S3 produced less felt recoil than the Claybuster CB-2118 replacement. I did not agree or disagree with him, but I decided to research it a bit. Loaded up 25 heavy 7 1/2's with each type wad. Found 2 identical Federal boxes and boxed them up, had my wife re-arrange them in my shell bag so I would have no way to tell them apart. Went to the practice trap and could feel no recoil difference between the boxes. So I gave up the testing and worrying about it.

What does this mean? My friend may just be more sensitive to recoil than I am. He may believe in his own mind that the 12S3 shoots softer, so for him it does. If he thinks the Federal wads are better, for him they probably are worth the extra $.

What I found out was that my shoulder, the shot, and the targets had no idea what wad I was using.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

green duster vs tgt 12

green duster vs tgt12