1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Premium shotshells VS Lower dollar shells

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 1oldtimer, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

With the escalating price of shotshells,many lesser known brands have come into the market. At around $20.00 per flat less, are we better off shooting them? Are they as consistent as the premiums? Are they loaded with softer shot?Are any of the top shooters shooting them with good results from the back fence? Does the reloadability factor come into play. Some shooters I know quit reloading and shoot the lesser brands. At mid yardage,23 yds. they seem to work good for me. Top Gun,Winchester super target. Will better scores from the premiums justify their cost if scores are higher? If they are inferior, At what yardage would we start to tell the difference? Whats your experience? Clyde Doll

2. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

This thread from a few weeks ago has some good info.

Wayne

3. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Reloads only, quality shells for economy prices.

4. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Most cheap shells are fine for singles and the first shot in doubles but not handicap . Anything back from the 22 yard line go premium

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

If you click on the link above and go to page 2 and read the two (and following) posts by Joe Hunter you will not only have your answer but get a look at what I consider absolutely top-notch work and reporting.

Neil

6. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I love my reloads, and think they are top notch, but I find myself using the Wally World Federals more and more, especially on handicap. I'm shooting from the 25 and they just crunch targets. They do have some thump though, that I don't need for up close or doubles.

7. Kyle Spieles

Kyle Spieles Member

I regularly shoot STS shells but decided to try out one of Wal-Mart Remington Value Packs that they have on the shelf for $20 for 4 boxes. I was very pleased with them. They shot very clean. In fact I shot my first 25 Straight this past weekend with them (although I don't think the shell had much to do with it). I just finished reloading 4 boxes of them and they turned out great!! I'm a believer in saving money and I think this is one way to do it.

8. CLP101

CLP101 TS Member

Remember to pattern your gun with the different loads. My 101 won't hold a pattern with factory AA's, but my reloads using the same components pattern great. Don't know why, but it does.

9. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Is there a shooter alive that is better than the worst shells made?

10. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

For practice I buy federal 1oz game loads at Wal Mart for $4.67 a box. They hit everything to the 27 and beyond if I do my part. Undoubtably an occasional target may get away when a premium factory or reload shell may have made the difference but since it doesn't count in practice I really don't mind.

Robert

11. Kyle Spieles

Kyle Spieles Member

I just finished reloading 4 boxes of the remington value packs that I bought from Wal-Mart. Very pleased with how they turned out. Every one of them looks like they came straight from the factory. Very nice!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.