1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Premium Shell vs Cheap Shells

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by GregoryA, Apr 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GregoryA

GregoryA TS Member

Is there a difference in reliability, consistancy and pattern in a premium shell such as Remington Nitros, Winchester AA's, Fiocchi Shells compared to the Walmart Remington, Federal or Winchester value pack?

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Pattern them and find out.<br>
    <br>
    I think there is a difference. On the other hand, this difference is not enough for me to justify the higher costs of the premium shell, especially for the volume fired.<br>
    <br>
    For hunting shells, unless it's for small game, I'll almost always go with premium shells for turkey loads, upland and buckshot (coyotes).<br>
    <br>
    For defense loads, I practice with cheap shells and use premium for "social use".<br>
    <br>

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

For me, one difference is the reloadability of the hulls. I do reload AA shells but I toss all of the discount hulls. I know that some reload the discount hulls but I do not. There is a convenience of tossing the discount hulls on the ground.

So far, my very limited pattern work comparing Federal Estates to Win. AA is inconclusive. I do seem to get a a few discount shells that do not fire but that could easily be a problem with my gun and not the shell.

Pat Ireland

4. lumper

lumper TS Member

Hell yeah there is a difference ... you can talk patterning and all the other mumbo jumbo and none of the crappola makes a dang bit of difference when the only major difference is a couple of dollars a box!

It aint the gun and it aint the shell but it is the shooter to blame when a target is missed just remember that when your comparing the prices of shells.

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

This sounds like a job for Neil Winston to tackle.

My opinion only...I would hypothesize that at the 16 yard line one would find little difference in outcome. I have used most of the shells you've listed and had only one failure to fire that I can recall.

6. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

7. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

My Ljutic won't eject steel head shells without an occasional swab of oil in the chamber. Brass heads eject with no problem. I suppose if I was 90+ straight in the GAH and a shell stuck, it would be a little psychological problem.

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I believe there is a difference, how much of a difference is what I'm not sure of ... When I shoot Nitro 27's from handicap they seem to turn targets inside out, where as the cheapies just chip a lot of them ... I have not figured out how much of it is me and how much is the shell ... I happen to think the confidence level is greater when shooting the Premiums over the cheapies, so in conclusion, Yes, but I'm not sure how much of a difference ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Big Heap- I enjoyed your modified calender covers. Did you do them?

Pat Ireland

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I feel the major difference between the premiums and cheapies is the quality of the hull and mostly the quality of the shot. For close shooting, it would be hard to measure enough difference to justify paying more when not needed for close shots. That said, good quality reloads with good hard shot can have a better SD than a lot of factory premiums. Hap

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Hi Carl, thanks my friend! Hope to see you at another Ohio shoot before my move to AZ. this spring! I also totally agree with your assessment of "big Leo" and his abilities with any shotgun, if it goes bang, he can break targets! You, "ain't no slouch" with one either guy! My email addy is above, email me please, remove the X? Hap

12. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Has anyone done drop tests for shot hardness between the Universals and the AAs or between the Gun Clubs and the STSs? It seems to me that the ammo manufactures would be economically foolish to change the shot alloy formula rather than just keeping it the same.

13. lumper

lumper TS Member

Up until last year when shells began to rise in cost I was able to get Federal Top Gun 2-3/4dram 1oz or 1-1/8oz loads all the time for the same price as the 3dram loads. I have not seen them recently, only the 3dram 1-1/8oz loads.

I would also think that they can produce all 3dram 1-1/8oz loads 24/7 with only changing shot and have a better return on investment than changing to 1oz and changing to 2-3/4dram loadings as well.

They are still available and out there but not at any cheap pricing at all.

14. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I just bought 3 flats of Fiocchi 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8 oz #8 , 1150fps for $39.50.
    I'll try them out as the first shot on doubles. They're the only one I could find that were not 3 dram loads.

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

PerazziBigBore - I suspect you might be correct, but I have not seen any numbers from pattern tests that verify your conclusion. I have seen numbers indicating at least one brand of discount shell has significantly less velocity than is printed on the box and the powder is very temperature sensitive.

Pat Ireland

16. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

As a new shooter, well four years under my belt now.

My occassional flashes of brillance, have been with RIO's my first 25 straight ATA, Estates, my first ever 50 straight HCP, my penny penching reloads my best scores yet 99's both in singles (A class) at the Spring Grand), and then Estates again for AZ state HCP champ event this year.

Followed the 50 str. HCP with STS in the shoot off 25 X 25, the club I was at didn't want to break open a flat of Estates that late in the day for a non menber, those Estates were what I really wanted to shoot, but I can't complain to much!

AND when I think back on the MISSED targets every single last one was a shooter error! AND when I think a little more all of the targets I have missed in four years are shooter error, I have not had a single missed target that I had done everything right and it got away, not one!

Al

17. lumper

lumper TS Member

It aint the gun and it aint the shell but it is the shooter to blame when a targets are missed just remember that.

18. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I shot a flat of Wolf shells and never smoked a target. I broke most of them but not impressively. I realize that this is anecdotal and not scientific but, at least with Wolf shells, I saw a difference.

19. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

Hey Carl, how do you feel about 3 dram vs HC dram for the 27 yard line. You can email me if you do not want to answer on here, but I would like to hear your opinion?
    Don

20. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

i shot a box of federal top gun 2 3/4 8's from the 27 and ink balles 24 targets in a row andmissed the last target because the shell was lower on power--squib or something like that but only a weak sound and missed target. stillthink that the top gun, gun club, and such do about the same job. Only shoot light 8's all the way to 27 and have no problem other then shooter miscalculation motordoc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.