1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

preffered O/U trap barrel lengths for short person

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jim_Gary, Dec 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim_Gary

Jim_Gary TS Member

I am 5' 4" tall and was wondering if I should use 30 or 32" barrels for a over/under trap gun. I have always shot 30" because the 32" seemed front heavy. Is that something that you get used to after awhile or should I stick to my 30" length on new CS Summit Impact or trap model.
    JG

2. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

I'm way taller than you and I shoot 28's the best. Shoot what you like, the length of the bbl is meaningless in terms of gun performance. All you need care about is if it feels good to you and works.

Charlie

3. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

Jim, pretty much what Charlie said, whatever length you feel comfortable with. The Guerini's tend to balance right in front of the hinge pin no matter what the barrel length.

4. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

The answer is not as simple as telling you to use one or the other. A 32" Caesar Guerini is not the same as a 32" Browning. I don't think you will find the CG 32" as barrel heavy as the Browning.

I liked the 32" O/U CG I shot better than my 30" XT.

5. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

Just one mans opinion but arm strength and swing speed has little to do with how tall you are. I seen some short guys that were strong and fast a 34 inch would not effect them. Tom

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I've always focused more on barrel weight than length. I like sub 1.5kg for sporting/skeet/wobble and generally better than 1.55kg for trap.

ss

7. Gross Man

Gross Man Member

Jim - I am your height and weigh 162 lbs. I am shooting a 32" O/U K-80 with the 10-6mm sporting barrel for sporting and some trap, and like it. The answer is definitely "What you feel comfortable with". You absolutely need to to try the gun before you buy it and see how it feels. For example, I tried the Blaser and liked the swing, but didn't like the recoil. If you try a K-80 sporting barrel, please note that the 10-6 mm rib is noticeably lighter at the muzzle than the 12-8 mm rib. I bought that because it swings nicely for me and the weigh of the gun minimizes the recoil. Billy

8. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

Good advise from all,you should shoot it before you buy,go with what feels good and is comfortable,height has little to do with it.Jerry

9. Jim_Gary

Jim_Gary TS Member

Thanks for all the great input. I have always shot the 30" over/unders but I am thinking of a 32" this time. I am thinking of getting a ceasar Geurini Impact or Trap and they are hard to get one into your hands. Especially the Impact. They are all on backorder around my area. I plan on waiting until I can swing one of each models length barrels and then make my decision from there. A lot of people tell me the Impact is a very lively swinging gun in 32" and it is not muzzle heavy. Guess I just have to wait to get my hands on one then I will know for sure.

10. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

You want to pick a barrel length that will put the action in a comfortable spot when you rest the muzzle on your toe between shots. Too long and it's in your arm pit and too short you have to reach for it.

11. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

silverbullet-- you just opened that big can of worms again! LOL Ross

12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

My 5'4" wife shoots a 32" K-80 O/U. She also shoots a 34" Unsingle. My opinion is a 2" difference in length means much more to the male of the species!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.