1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

preferred way to shoot trap targets

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rpengr1, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rpengr1

rpengr1 TS Member

What is considered to be the preferred way for a two-eyed shooter to approach shooting trap targets?

From what I understand, one method is to hold the gun slightly above the trap house with a soft eye focus above the barrel but such that you can see the target appear in your peripheral vision. As the target appears above the barrel, move to the target from below and fire.

Secondly, there is an approach where the gun is held sufficiently high so that the target never gets above the gun. In this case, look under and around the gun to see the target emerge and move to intercept the target never letting it get to the gun.

Does one use a different approach for 16 yard or long range handicap?

2. fish and teach

fish and teach TS Member

I try to coach 4-H kids in shotgun sports. I got the Phil Kiner video to help me see things I needed to concentrate on and show the kids. It is a great aid. I'm sure there are other videos out there that are great too, I've only seen this one though.

3. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I think you'll find number one more productive.

John C. Saubak

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

John is right, number one will be much more effective. The only way the second method will work is if your gun shoots VERY flat. Not letting the target clear the barrel by trapping the target is sure death to shooting good scores.. Just my experience.. Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Hit them. LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.