1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Preferred POI for Skeet _HELP NEEDED

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by citadel, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. citadel

citadel Active Member

I have started shooting some skeet and I am having one hell of a time with it. In trap I am use to a gun that shoots 80 to 100% high and that works very well for me day in and day out.

When shooting the darn things from the skeet tower, both high and low I keep over shooting even though I have my gun set with as low a POI as I can get. The comb is all the way down and the sights show a figure 8 or very close to it.

Can any one give me any pointers. Do I need to change to a really flat gun at 50/50 or something like that or maybe 60/40. If so I probably have one but right now I am using a nice Beretta 687 that I like and I can not get it to shoot any lower than about 80% and with that I over shoot all the time. HELP please.

Doug

2. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Targets from station 1 & 2 high house will give you a hard time with high POI setup. For example.

Flat shooting field gun would be a better choice over ATA gun.

There're people using their ATA gun in skeet and doing ok, but I prefer not to drive a NASCAR in road race.

3. 3357

3357 Member

my skeet gun shoots 55/45 at 35 yards, at 20 yards its pretty-much flat.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Don't shoot until you get to station 7. Then ask the puller for 23 low sevens and a pair. Or you can get a higher front sight for your gun, that will lower the POI. A magnetic add on front sight works well. HMB

5. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

When I was shooting skeet, everyone I shot with used trap stocks. For the small gauge 1100's we bent the mainspring tube and inletted the stock to make it like a trap stock. When I say everyone, that included a Pan Am champion and a couple of All Americans.
    The idea is that you never want to cover a target, because if you lose sight of it, it can drop out from under you. Also low house targets are rising like trap targets. Stay with the gun you're shooting. Pat is probably right, you're more likely shooting behind them than over them.

6. craby boy

craby boy TS Member

Doug
    Heres a great site which has overviews & station descriptions.

Its the VIRGINIA SKEET SHIOOTING ASSOSIATION, vaskeet.com

skeet has a lot of good techniques,stay in gun, swing lower body,eye off the barrel, I wish I could do some of them.!

Pete

7. citadel

citadel Active Member

Thanks to everyone for their help. I will get to work trying to make corrections and find a good coach as most likely I am making all the mistakes you guys suggest.

Doug

8. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

Doug --- what is the POI of your gun when the comb is all the way down? And with respect to seeing a figure-8 when you mount the gun I'd bet you're easing up on the cheel pressure as you call for the bird.

A couple of hints.

1) Are you using skeet chokes? If not get some.

2) When you set up for the shot place your feet so your belly-buttom is facing the low house. Rotate back toward the high house so your hold point is approx 1/3 of the way between the High House and the center stake with your gun no higher (and better a little lower) than the bottom of the opening.
    Same position on the feet and hold points for shooting the low house with the hold point about a third of the way between the low house and the center stake.

3) Your eyes should be off of you gun looking back toward the opening but not into it. Follow the bird with your eyes until you see it clearly and then move the gun. Cardinal sin --- calling and moving your gun at the same time.

4) Keep your swing level and your eye on the bird as many targets are missed by rolling over the target by rolling your shoulders as you swing.

If you'd really like to learn to shoot skeet take a lesson from Todd Bender. His classes aren't cheap but he is easily the best shooting instructor (not just for skeet) around. You can Google his name and his web-site will have a schedule for the coming year. Now is a good time as once the skeet season starts it's hard to set up a class.

P.S. A trap site isn't the best place to get advice about skeet shooting.

9. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

It is seldom up and down misses but behind

The trick with skeet is many targets are close but the rate of angle change is increasing so the longer past center they go, the harder it is to hit; you cant catch up and shoot behind.

Shoot them at or before center, your reflexes will likely hit them after center.

move aggressively on them with short swings, it will improve your trap if you trust yourself to shoot.

Unfortunately waaay too many trap shooters are aimers; they get away with it for fairly decent scores but can never improve. "Use the force Luke"

regards

10. EuroJoe

EuroJoe Well-Known Member

More skeet targets are missed because of line errors, rather tha lead errors. Stock your gun high enough to float the target enough to see flight deviations when the wind blows, etc.

11. leadingedge

leadingedge Active Member

My advice to you is to pick the gun you shoot the best and forget about POI, look at the bird and make a good shot. I shoot a 34" MX-10 for everything, trap, skeet, sporting and live birds. By the way my POI is 100% high. Stick with what you know and good things will happen.

Darrell

12. brownk80

brownk80 Member

My skeet gun probably shootes 80/20, about the same as my O/U does for trap. The reason? So I can see the target regardless of what it is doing just like in trap. Don't know where the idea of 50/50 etc came from and probably from some better shooters than I, but if you can't see it you can't hit it and you don't have a lot of time with a skeet target so if you have to pick up your head to find the target it is prbably going to be a "0" on the score sheet. Just put the target on top of the bead and shoot it for stations 1 & 7 until you get used to it. Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best poi for skeet

poi for skeet

skeet gun poi

todd bender does not use a front sight