1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Preferred POI for Bunker Shooting - what is it?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by topgunshooter, Mar 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. topgunshooter

topgunshooter TS Member

For all you accomplished Bunker shooters reading this thread, what is the preferred POI for your O/U?

Do you prefer 60/40? 50/50? 70/30?

And, do you want both barrels have the same POI or the top barrel lower since the 2nd shot may be dropping?

2. Baber

Baber TS Member

Since the target is always rising you need something that shoots a little hight. 1/2 pattern high at 30 Yards seems about right.

Tom

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

What happened to gravity? HMB

4. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

I sure hope the 2nd shot is taken before the target starts to drop. A legal Bunker target flies 76 meters +/- 1 meter so around 83-85 yards before they hit ground. The target will be at its zenith around 40 yards of flight. The shooter stands 15 meters behind the bunker so the target will be somewhere around 55-57 yards from the shooter before it is halfway through it's flight. That is a LONG way to take a 2nd shot let alone allowing the target to commence dropping and be even further away.

For a good discussion on bunker including POI look at the link above. Derek did a nice job on this.

5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Depends on your style.. You'll get 5 grass cutters every round.. Which are damn near flat and then falling.. Nothing more than 60/40..

6. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

Derek told me that Perazzi sets up their bunker guns to shoot 20 cm (~8") high in the first barrel and dead on for the second. And that's the way his new Perazzi is set up. Pattern plate verified.

- - Bill

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

50/50. That is what mine is.

8. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I bought Derek's older bunker barrel.and it was almost a whole pattern at 20 yards different from top to bottom with .028/.038 chokes.. It was fantastic once I got use to shooting right at the falling target..as the bottom shot low.. I reworked the barrel to shoot 3" high and 1" low at 13 yards.. I have done well with it..but for the most part do the same with a 50/50 barrel set up to shoot 2" high at 13 yards.. There is much to be said for shooting ONLY 1 gun.. I suggest to anyone.. play with them all.. but when you want to win something..shoot 1 and lock up the rest.. And for those who shoot 1 gun..LOCK you adjustments down.. Period..once they are set correctly..

9. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

60/40 is about ideal. past 40 yrds th shot starts to drop and the pattrn gets larger so two different impacts is a little help but less than you would think.

Learning the gun and having it set up to shoot where you are looking is more important.

Joe

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

I prefer 60/40, FWIW.

11. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

I got to thinking about PerazziBigBore's comment about grass cutters. They -- the 1.5 m targets -- shouldn't be. Unless the targets are mis-set; a not-unusual occurrence.

A rough test is if the targets reach at least the height of your eyes. If not, then it's protest time.

The 1.5 m target rises to about 6.5m at a point about 45 meters out (Interestingly, the ATA target is on the ground well before this target has reached its apex.) so if it's set legally, it never "cuts grass".

Since this is the lowest (but still rising) target, I suspect a dead-on POI may well not be the best way to go. I've long noted that I often shoot the bottom off a dead straight-away 1.5m target. I smoke a good percentage, but I virtually never see a shoot-over-the-top target break. Could be bad habits, could be a low POI that doesn't help... My Perazzi shoots about 4" high; my next one will definitely be set to shoot higher.

By the way, if you look at the 9 schemes, targets set 2 m or less make up about half of the program. Scheme 9 (easiest?)has the least, 2 (hardest?) has the most.

- - Bill

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Gamebirds shot from an elevated shooting position also requires a tad higher impacting pattern. Or at least does for me. I'd think that "grass cutter" target would be nearly the same? Never shot bunker though but grouse is doin about 60 mph for some shots. I've shot quite a lot of those. Hap

13. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

AS far as bunker schemes go I worked with a friend to develop a practice scheme that gives maximum representation of all 9 schemes.

The scheme we put in place at our club is 15 settings that exist on the official nine schemes but represent a high percentage of the angles and heights - a hybrid scheme if you will.

We have 90% of the angles of all 135 target settings and 70% of all heights +/- 0.5m.

If anybody would like a copy of it I can send them a pdf or the excel spreadsheet. Just send me an email to brokebunkerdad at gmaildotcom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

poi for bunker