1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PREFER MAGNUM OR CHILLED SHOT?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WYBOO WOOD, Mar 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WYBOO WOOD

WYBOO WOOD Member

I tried a search but was not successful. I'm trying to find out the difference

between magnum and chilled shot. And why does anyone prefer one over the

other. I can buy chilled for a little less than magnum. Appreciate the help.

Thanks, Dave

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The lead in chilled shot is softer. Antimony added to lead makes a harder alloy. Chilled contains less antimony than magnum (2% vs 5%). This also makes chilled shot heavier because antimony is a lighter metal than lead. Shot bushings actually drop a weight closer to true with chilled shot than with magnum.

I prefer chilled shot. There's no meaningful difference in performance from the 16-24 yard lines and it's cheaper.

3. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Most Trapshooters prefer Magnum shot because it's harder, therefore not so easily deformed, therefore less flyers in the pattern. At least that's the theory? OTOH, I agree with the above in that unless you're shooting from long yardage I'm not totally convinced it's worth the extra $$$

John C. Saubak

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

chilled shot vs magnum shot