1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PRECISION TRIGGERS DOES IT AGAIN!!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Trap2, Oct 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I traded into a beautiful set of Tom Seitz combo barrels for my MX3 Special recently and wanted to share with you the experience I just had with Jim Coons at Precision Gold. The O/U barrels I got were, for whatever reason, choked .020" on the TOP barrel and .032" on the BOTTOM barrel. As you know, this is the reverse of how a standard MX3 Special O/U barrel comes from the factory. The single barrel was no problem to shoot with my bottom first Precision just by removing the cocking foot for the bottom barrel. The problem I had was I wanted a dedicated top barrel first trigger so I didn't have to do the cocking foot thing every time I wanted to shoot doubles, and my trigger was set up to fire the bottom barrel first negating the barrel configuration Tom had set this barrel up for. I talked to Jim and explained what I wanted him to do. He suggested I sell my Precision and buy a new top firing first trigger that Ray Stafford has. He thought that the cost of switching from a bottom first to a top first would be cost prohibitive for him to do as he would have to change out the hammers, the tree, etc. This suggestion was not feasible for me as I have a Precision with the "Set Back" trigger and wanted to stay with it. I also had custom tuned set and release points on both the top and the bottom barrel that I didn't want to change. Jim asked me to send it to him and he would take a look at it. That was a week ago. I just got the trigger back and I have to say, I'm very pleased about what he did. He totally rebuilt the trigger, from the ground up, changing it from bottom first to top first, and I can't even tell the difference in the trigger set and release from the old trigger. Jim has worked with me, off and on, for several years to get just the right feeling trigger for me and knows exactly what I want. Was it cheap? No, it cost me $600.00 to do the conversion. Was it worth it? Absolutely!! I now have a one of a kind Precision release, top barrel first, with set back trigger. No more removing the cocking shoe. One trigger to do the job..... Great work Jim... Thanks, Dan Thome (Trap2)

2. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

Jim is one of the "good guys"! Trap2, what exactly is a "set back" trigger? Thanks Bruce

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Bruce... The trigger is "set back" in the frame approximately 3/8". It's just much more comfortable to shoot for me..... Dan

4. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

Trap2, Just checking, does that mean that the trigger shoe is 3/8" closer to the grip? Thanks Bruce

5. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

6. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Bruce.... That is correct..... Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.