1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Precision Trigger adjustment

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by sturgeon, Nov 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sturgeon

sturgeon Member

I am contemplating (again) buying a Precision trigger for my MX8 as a direct replacement for the factory original coil spring pull/pull non select.I am puzzled by the availability of various Precision cocking feet.
    Could someone please explain the reason for the sizes and the why and how of selection. Would not it be easier to adjust the cocking rod? or have got hold of the wrong end of the stick, Apologies for the numbing ignorance. Steve Bee

2. dward

dward Member

Steve

By fitting the trigger to the gun (right size cocking shoe) your other triggers will still work in the gun. By fitting the gun to the trigger (adjust cocking rod in gun) you may not be able to use your previous trigger.

From my experience the cocking shoe size is more important in a release trigger than a pull trigger. The size of the cocking shoe determines how far the hammer is pushed back when you open your gun. In a pull trigger, so long as the hammers get cocked you should be ok. On a release trigger you can push the hammers back so far that they push up against your release hook. I bought a release trigger once and without checking it out eventually broke one of the release hooks because the hammer was putting too much force on it. When I broke the gun open, it was actually the hammer riding on the release hook that was stopping the action from opening farther.

In short it's my opinion that swapping release triggers in any gun is a bad idea until you've taken the stock off and watched the hammers when the gun is broken completely open. When the action is completely open there should still be a tiny bit of play in the release hook (meaning the hammer is not trying to push it past it's farthest back position).

As I have a type 3 perazzi I'm sure this is more critical than with the new type 4s which are machined to much tighter tolerances.

Hope this helps - Big Dan

3. sturgeon

sturgeon Member

Big Dan.......Thank you for the explanation, it is now clear. As your posting was the only one offering a solution perhaps cocking foot practice is a bit like trigger/sear work... a black art jealously guarded by Gunsmiths Proper! Thanks again. Steve Bee

4. dward

dward Member

SBray - thanks, I try to share the little bit I know in a helpful way.

sturgeon/Steve - Most of what I described applies to release triggers. If you only want a pull/pull, I don't think you need to worry too much. Just make sure the hammers get cocked and the ejectors are tripped.

But as far as the cocking shoe/sear work comparison........I have modified cocking shoes on my triggers (ground them down a tad), but I would only let a good gunsmith work on the sear engagement. The cocking shoe is fairly easy to make smaller, and if they are too small it's easy to get a bigger one and install it yourself.

Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.