1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Precision Stock

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 1oldtimer, Jun 28, 2013.

1. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

They are # 1 on the ugly list.

2. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

And you're making this observation because?????????

3. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

MAYBE, BUT TO ME THEY ARE THE GREATEST THING SINCE SLICED BREAD OR POCKETS ON SHIRTS..SMOKIT

4. us820

us820 Active Member

My ugly stock is shooting 99.33 so far this year.My $3,300 pretty one sits on a shelf.

5. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

us820 says it all!

6. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

Nice wood does not break targets. My shooting has improved quite a bit since I went to the PFS.

7. fast gun

fast gun Active Member

Ive got a pfs on my doubles gun, it sure takes the bounce out of the gun.

I thought they were ugly too but I sure would'nt be without one.

Pretty is as pretty does.

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

R. Chapman,

With all due respect young man, you are what 15 years old? Just how much observing could you possibly have done in the total market of PFS's?

9. shawsheen

shawsheen Member

I love mine, was the best purchase I have made and I wont buy a gun that it wont fit on. I have the ladies version which allows me to take the nice wood off, not cut it and have the correct length of pull. I have been shooting with mine for 3 years now....Not sure how long I would have to shoot with it to say I was sticking with it....

10. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I've been shooting one exclusively since 2006 (Vern shipped it to me from the Grand the first year it was in Sparta). I get a wild idea every once in a while to go back to a wood stock (mainly just for looks), but that idea lasts for about 2 minutes.

I could afford (barely) $1300 for a new PFS when I bought mine. I could not (and still wouldn't want to) afford $3k+ for a custom wood stock, which only fits one gun. With the PFS, if you switch guns, it costs $240 for a new grip (or about $150 for a used one). I've won enough $ because of a properly fitting gun and my PFS to pay for its cost MANY times over.

I'm thankful every time I see another shooter with a poorly fitting stock that beats their brains in. One less shooter I have to worry about beating.

I have a friend who would not be shooting today if not for a PFS (his ill fitting wood stock was causing physical damage to his body), and many people are or know people in the same position.

The problem is people don't take the time to set the stock up properly. They throw it on the gun, start shooting, and when it doesn't work, they take it off. I've yet to see someone with a PROPERLY set up PFS not benefit greatly from using it.

11. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Chapman that is about the dumbest statement anybody has made today. I'm on my second one and I've been shooting this one 5 yrs. You just have to get out more and open your eyes.

Don

12. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Mr. Chapman, you really need to get out more, go to some shoots, look at all the PFS stocks. Between my wife and me, we have a total of 5. Got my first in 2008 and never looked back.

I really can't think of any shooters who actually got them set up properly and then went back, though I am sure there are some. I have seen some shooters post here about not liking them, but it seemed pretty obvious from their descriptions of the problems they had that they never got the stocks fit correctly.

Vern is a great guy, set up the latest one for my wife at the Dollar-one we already owned and had purchased on this site and he would not take a penny for setting it up for her.

Both Vern and the PFS are tops in my book.

Bob

13. straightshooter1

Holy cow, Mr. Chapman.

I looked back at your previous posts and saw that you were one of those who obviously didn't understand the PFS. You couldn't figure out how to set the cast, felt a double recoil, etc. The other posters told you what was wrong with your set-up, but apparently you either didn't listen or didn't understand.

Not much to be done for you, I'm afraid.

Bob

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I purchased one of the first PFS ever made for a Ljutic. It still works perfectly. I don't really care what it looks like, as long as it continues to perform. It's been painted lots of different colors, but presently Black. Looks kind of intimidating.

15. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member

I need Vern's email address...thanks.

16. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Karla,

Vern Browns e-mail addy as below,

Vern Brown
    E-mail Address:
    precisionfit@pcisys.net

Vern is a great guy to do business with as well as having a great product.
    See you and the Big man in roughly 36 days, we are looking forward to some warm weather.

Gary.........Release Trigger.

17. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I never cared for the looks of PFS, but bought a used one just to try one out ... I liked it a bunch, when I sold the gun (MX-2000 combo) I had it on the buyer wanted the PFS with it so it went down the road ... I was actually looking to replace it and or buy a new one from Vern Brown, in the meantime I had a 90T that I was selling and Vern Brown made me an offer based on everything he would have to do to the gun, (release trigger, porting, etc. and so on) what he liked and didn't like to beat the price down ... I told him that I wouldn't buy this particular gun if its not what he wanted and if he wanted it taylor made or changed to his specifications ... I put the idea of a PFS on the back burner and that is where it will stay until he can provide me with exactly what I want at about half of that he charges for them ... I sold the 90-T for exacly how much I was asking for it, no more problem ... I would buy another but only if I could get it for next to nothing which is what my gun was worth to Vern Brown ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

18. rossi690

rossi690 Active Member

I've got a PFS on my Ceasar Guerni, and wouldn't be without it!

19. straightshooter1

My experiences with Vern Brown have been different than yours, WPT. I bought a used MX-6 from Bob Schultz at the Southern Grand in 2008, But, Bob hadn't brought the manual with him (got it later). I had no idea how to set the gun up and someone, seeing my difficulties, said "Vern Brown is here." Of course my question was, "Who is Vern Brown?" Assured by this guy that Vern would set the gun up for me, with some discomfort, I went over to his house and introduced myself. He spent about 2 hours tweaking the stock, changing the pad and spacers, and, in the end, would not take a penny for helping me. I won my class with a 199 at the Florida State Shoot and then shot a 200 in the singles at the Southern Zone a few months later.

I was very impressed that he'd take the time to help someone he didn't know set up a stock he'd sold to someone else several years before and refuse any payment for his work.

Over the next few years, I bought several PFS stocks on TS.com. A few had some minor problems and he fixed all of them, either charging me nothing or a very reasonable amount. He would have the stocks back to me from Colorado the same week I sent them to him.

Then, a couple of months ago I bought my wife a back up 682. I had a PFS, but could not find a grip for it here on TS.com. I called Vern and learned he was still at the Dollar, so I told him what I needed and went to his house the next day and bought the grip.

While there, I mentioned I was selling something (not trying to sell it to him, just making conversation) and he said he'd buy it and he did at my asking price. No negotiating, just bought it.

Then, a couple of days later, he came over to the Gun Club side and saw my wife shooting the 682 which I had set up for her (Keith Heeg always sets her guns up, but he'd already gone back north, so I was doing, or trying, to do it).

He immediately came over and said he thought she needed a different spacer and a change in the comb setting and began to work on her stock. He went back to his house, got a bunch of "stuff" and worked till he was satisfied. Then, after watching her shoot some additional targets, we went to his house where he made some more changes.

He wouldn't take a cent again for his work. And again, this was a stock I bought here, one he'd sold to someone else years before.

Then, a few days later, he was shooting practice with us and said he thought she needed one more washer for handicap (she shoots from the 25). A few days later, and we shot some more practice with him and he was satisfied. So was she, by the way. She's made that back up 682 her main trap gun.

I can't speak to the circumstances of the dealings between Vern and WPT, but I have always wanted a 90T just to try it for a while. However, most of those priced fairly on this site have no adjustable comb or buttplate, and no release trigger.

Even fairly priced, adding those things to a 90T will put me in a position that if I find I don't like it or can't shoot it, I'll never get anywhere near what I have in it if I sell it. So, I have never made an offer on a 90T. I don't want the seller to think I am trying to beat him up to get the gun at a lowball price.

Perhaps that's what happened in the attempted transaction WPT posted about. Again, I wasn't there, so I don't know. All I know is that my dealings with Vern Brown have been more than satisfactory.

Bob

20. Straight50

Straight50 Member

R.Chapman, you ought not be talking like that! You are just a boy. You oughter be play'n an stuff.