1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Precision Shooting-James Russell-Pattern Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dmarbell, May 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I just bought two of James Russell's books. I have a question about patterning referred to in Precision Shooting.

On page 140, FAQ #s 193-196, there is a discussion about choking for a 25" pattern. When I saw this, it was like I walked into the middle of a discussion. I haven't read the whole book yet, so did I miss any previous reference to patterning?

I've used Neil Winston's method of patterning at 13 yards to find and refine POI. Do you then need to go out to 35 yards or so to pattern for the 25" pattern Russell describes?

A 25" pattern at 35 yards seems like it would take a mighty full choke. I have been using IM from the 16 and F for caps (from penalty 22 down to my newly assigned 20). My guess is it would take F from 16 and XXF from anywhere near 25 to get that tight a pattern.

Has anyone tried this method?

Danny

2. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Take James Russell with a grain of salt.

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Read the article at the link above for the real deal on getting the right effective pattern.

4. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

MIA, do not question MMs statements. Take them at face value. When you achieve his shooting proficiency, then you can question his judgement.

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Doesn't anyone remember . . .?

Neil

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

These are two wonderful books about the fine art of trap shooting. Some trapshooters are unable to understand finer points discussed in these books. One of my favorites is the use of xray vision in trap shooting. HMB

7. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

MIA & JBrooks, I have them and I've read them and I stand by my original statement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.