1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Precision Reloading

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by esetter, Mar 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esetter

esetter Active Member

Last year I purchased a very nice William Powell built in 1905 that has 2 1/2 inch chambers. I started shooting RST shells in it and loved them but wanted to try to load some of my own. I called Precision Reloading and talked with two of the guys there and they ask me which powder I wanted to use. I told them I used Universal Clays in 20 and 28GA and they said they would call me back in a few days. To my surprise 2 hours later I got a call and they said they had a load worked up for me with very low pressures and close to 1200fps speed. I loaded some up and shot them and they worked fine but were very, very, dirty, and even some unburnt powder around the chamber something I hadn't seen with Universal Clays before. They said they would get back to me and in a couple days they did just that. They said the Clays powder wasn't burning correctly in the low pressure load thus causing the fouling. They ask me if I would mind using another powder and they suggested PB.

Two days later they called me back again saying they had a perfect load of PB that they had tested and it produced the low pressures I wanted for the old gun and the nice speed of 1186 fps and was clean as a whistle. I loaded some up yesterday and they were great. Broke a 24 at skeet with the old Powell my first round and it was soft and extremely clean.

I just wanted to tell all of you reloaders about these guys. They didn't charge me a penny for all this testing and all I did was buy some new 2 1/2 inch hulls and the proper wads from them. Talk about great friendly service. I highly recommend this company if you are trying to work up a special load for a certain situation. They are GREAT!!!!

2. NO BIRD

NO BIRD TS Member

Please post the components and recipe using PB. I use universal in 2 1/2 inch shells.

3. esetter

esetter Active Member

Cheddite Hulls 2 1/2"
    18.5 Grains of PB
    Gualandi Wad 2116
    7/8 oz shot
    7200 PSI
    1187 FPS
    Burns clean and light recoil.