1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Precision Gold Triggers: Used Buyers Beware

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shotgun Julie, Oct 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shotgun Julie

Shotgun Julie TS Member

I want to take a second and inform everyone on a slight issue we have been having with used trigger sales, just so everyone can be aware of the situation. In recent months, we have had an increase of triggers coming into the shop due to malfunctions. Once we get them into the shop and examine them, it becomes very obvious as to why they are malfunctioning. Someone other than Precision Gold Triggers has been tampering with the trigger, and the trigger has been filed on, ground, etc, to the point that it will no longer function properly. And as all of our customers know, any work done to a Precision Trigger by anyone other than Precision Gold itself, will void the warranty.

Unfortunately, they sell their trigger to an unsuspecting shooter, who believes they are getting a good deal on a Precision Gold Trigger. However, once they get it, and realize it does not work as it should, they send it in to Jim. Jim discovers what is wrong with the trigger, assesses the damages, and then calls the new owner who then can end up with a bill for the repairs, in some cases as much as $500-$700 depending on the extent of the repairs needed.

So, just as a heads up, please be aware of these types of sales, as you may end up spending a lot more than you had expected for a used trigger.

All our best,
    Julie Lambert
    Precision Gold Triggers

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Julie.. let me chime in here for a wee bit.. The Percision Gold is an excellent trigger.. and Jim's work is outstanding.. While a brand new Perazzi trigger.. straight from the factory can often use a little fitting.. so is the same with the Percision trigger.. Why not just let them fit it correctly from the get go.. You'll be glad they did.. Very few people know how to fit a trigger correctly despite what they claim.. They can also fit the cocking shoes properly..and see that the cocking bar is the correct length.. They have the parts and knowledge to do it quickly.. and reasonably.. Also.. PLEASE remember.. triggers are not made to go in and out of every Perazzi on your rack.. That's a quick way to get into trouble with ANY trigger that's removable.. All Good.. Keep up the GREAT work.. Mike

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Julie. you should figure out how to serve the used market rather than telling folks they'd do better buying new. fact is these triggers change hands of necessity. Too, some secondary users of your triggers might not like original settings. that is perhaps another thing you can address on this thread.

Jack

4. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Well said, Jack. That is telling it like it is, and it isn't going to change. Look how fast a reasonably priced trigger sells here on TS.

5. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

Just bought a double release on this site, it works great, took it all apart cleaned & lubbed it, looks like new. Joe

6. underdog

underdog TS Member

Sounds like Julie likes to sell NEW TRIGGERS, maybe she does not make any money when someone sells/buys a used one. Seems like she would be happy to fix the used ones at the rate she charges???
    Eric

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

...or maybe the woman simply wants to warn the intelligent among you that there are morons out there who will screw up a good thing by employing ham-fisted and ignorant carelessness on it and then palm off their junk abortive attempts at gunsmithing on others who don't know the difference. They probably employ that tired old excuse that "it will work fine once it's been cleaned and adjusted". And if you buy it and find that some idiot screwed it up, don't expect them to repair it free.

Bottom line: if somebody offers you a trigger at a "good" price and it doesn't function perfectly immediately and they don't have a believable excuse for selling it at that price, pass it up or prepare to be very disappointed.
    MK

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I think Julie is trying to let everyone know that they aren't going to warrenty a trigger that has been fitted by someone other than them. Just make sure to cover this when purchasing a used trigger. I'm sure they've had some unhappy customers because of this.

I can fully understand this position as I've seen a lot of backyard gunsmiths ruin a perfectly good gun/part/trigger.

MK, you beat me to it:)

ss

9. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

Mine was too fast and I sent it out to Jim and he called to make sure what was happening and he had it back to me in 1 week. No charge or mailing fee. Hard to beat. Glenn

10. wlc

wlc Member

My experience with Precision Trigger repair has been nothing but good. The advise to use caution when buying anything that an amatuer gunsmith has modified is worth listening to.

11. Shotgun Julie

Shotgun Julie TS Member

I want to thank everyone for their response to my thread.

I am well aware triggers change hands out of necessity. And I am glad they do. Most of us will change the equipment we use over the course of our shooting careers. And a trigger that is no longer useful to one shooter should be passed along to another shooter. Many of whom would be appreciative to find a high quality product at a lower than new price.

It is these innocent shooters that I am trying to protect from others who think it is acceptable to clearly go against our warranty policy, and have someone work on their trigger that ends up becoming an unreliable, malfunctioning, piece of equipment, and then try to sell their problem off to someone else instead of repairing the damages they have caused before passing it along.

We believe in our product and Jim will stand by his product, always. He will fix what needs to be fixed, as long as it is his issue to resolve. We do not believe in repairing someone else's damages at no cost.

I wish we had more used triggers to sell, since the triggers we take in used can be examined by Jim and made sure that they are still in great working order. However, a used trigger does not stay long in our inventory as there is always a customer right behind, looking for a used one.

And there are plenty of times that our customers will purchase a used trigger from other shooters and everything works 100% as it should, they get a good deal, and there are no troubles to speak of. But unfortunately this doesn’t always happen, which is why I felt it necessary to simply inform everyone of this issue in hopes that it will at least prevent some of these incidents from occurring.

In further efforts to reduce these incidents, we are introducing a new “Statement of Evaluation” feature for sellers or buyers. For $25+shipping, you can send a trigger in and have Jim evaluate it. This is not the same as our “Re-certification” as Jim will simply take apart the trigger and examine all the parts, but will not tune, or replace any parts for the “Statement of Evaluation”. We will then make note of any repairs that would need to be made and the cost for those repairs. We will send one copy back with the trigger, as well as keep a copy on file for future reference. Then, a buyer can hopefully receive this “Statement of Evaluation” from the seller prior to purchase and therefore have no surprise additional costs for their used trigger.

Once again I do appreciate everyone’s feedback. Please feel free to email me directly if you have any further questions.

All our best,
    Julie Lambert

12. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The Statement of Evaluation would be a very good selling tool for the trigger.. I don't think the $25.00 would be a deal breaker.. BTW..Does anyone know if the light weight hammers used in a Percision trigger will work in a Perazzi housing??? i like the design and reduced weight..

13. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

“Statement of Evaluation” I wish I got one for my first wife 40 years later and still needs repair. Good news is someone else is picking up the tab

14. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

john.a pisser of acomment. loved it.

i like the evaluation.

15. Kolarpole

Kolarpole Member

Ole one eye............I know you are going to be ULTRA nice to me this year at the Dollar. I have made a copy of your statement and I am sure the copy is worth lots of "cold ones" See yaaaaaaaaa in early November.....RUN,EM

16. happytrapper

happytrapper TS Member

Why do these trigger cost so much? Are they made out of pure Gold. If they didn"t cost so much I would get a double release for my old 870 . Then I could go out and break the crap out of them doubles just like Leo.

17. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I think it's interesting that people poke at this woman for trying to help.

She is telling yopu flat out that the messed up trigger you buy will not be fixed for free.. That becomes "she wants to sell new triggers?"

More like she doesn't want to deal with you all pissed off when teh trigger you bought needs 300.00 dollars worth of work and she (they) are not going to do it for free after somebody else messed it all up.

Lets see.... Gm doesn't fix my mechanics screw ups for free, Remington doesn't fix my gunsmiths screw ups for free, The pool guy doesn't fix the screw ups of teh previous pool guy for free..

I guess after market trapshooting triggers that have a warranty that says we don't fix other peoples screw ups should be the exception to the rule.

Just remember the old adage.. If it sounds to good to be true it may be. It may be the seller already knows the trigger will need 400 in repairs.

Jeff

18. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

I get to see to many DIY jobs that have ruined many a decent firearm, or at least made the repair of the things cost as much or more what a new firearm will cost.

so if there was a way to get an evalutation of the firearms for sale, that would save some buyers a lot of remorse also!

AL

19. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Sounds like $25 very well spent to me. Precision triggers are the best releases out there for P guns. Jim and Julie are quality minded folks who will only do a job right and right by their customer.

Bob Schultz. Owner of 2 Precision Gold triggers.

20. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Julie, thank you for the heads-up with the potential problems.

Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
ebay precision gold triggers
precision gold trigger
precision gold trigger for sale
precision gold trigger service

precision gold triggers

precision trigger
precision trigger perazzi
precision triggers