1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Precision Fit Stock?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by goosecall, May 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

I will be recieving my Precision Fit Stock Thursday. For those who have one is there some information on setup would be helpful. I hope the Precision fit Stock will help me deal with my arthritis in my back and help with recoil flinch? 10tenner

2. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

(Assuming you like your current stock/gun point of impact) I would baseline your current point of impact at 13yds before removing the stock and installing the PFS. Then adjust the PFS (see PFS instruction book for recoil management and adjustments) to match the point of impact of your old gun. Once you have done this take a black felt tip pen and outline the butt plate and comb height for future reference when you begin fine tuning the PFS. When you loosen screws on the butt portiong of the PFS it slides easily and you quickly loose your reference if you don't outline with the pen.

Good luck - you will enjoy or all the adjustment possibilities will drive you crazy!

3. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

10tenner,

Yes you will enjoy your new PFS. As stated above you sort of need to pattern your existing gun. The first PFS I bought, I took measurements of my existing stock. That is Comb height, length of pull, cast, pitch etc. Once you read the instruction manual it is very simple. Vern goes into great detail with pictures in the manual. If you have any questions feel free to email or call me. I can put one on with my eyes closed, and start adjusting. Another thought, you may want to just put it on, and start moving it until you get the fit that you are accustomed to! That is what I do now that I have gained experience with them. As far as recoil goes there is alot of adjustments. If you are shooting a combo, you may want to set it a stiffer setting. If it has alot of travel it can be troublesome when recovering for the second shot in doubles. If you are using a single barrel trapgun and not shooting doubles you can have a great deal of travel. Just be sure before firing: Put the gun to your shoulder as if you were shooting gun. Pull grip back and compress stock against your shoulder. If it hits your hand or pinches you in anyway, you need to make some adjustments. It will pinch the sh!t out of you. Another than that, you have a wonderful shooting aid! I also paint them professionally! So, if you don't like the black color send it to me. We will paint it a color you like. Again, if you need any help email or call. I will help you in anyway I can!
    Matt Woodson - Woodson Enterprises
    (270) 804-5454

4. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

Thanks for the advice. I am sure I will need more advice once I get the unit. I will be putting it on Citori XT and will be shooting some doubles. The recoil flinching has gotten so bad, clinching the forearm, lifting my head and even bending my knees to absorb the recoil, to the point of thinking of quitting the sport. 10Tenner

5. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

10tenner,

Your shooting will be getting better with this device. It makes AA Super Handicaps feel like 28 gauges. Let me know if I can help.

Matt

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Enjoy the adjustments. It took me 10 years to get mine right. LOL

7. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

You've got two excellent sources of help in Matt and Mike in addition to Vern - don't be afraid to call him if you need help, he's a super guy to deal with.

And don't be afraid to adjust the stock - most folks are not used to being able to make micro adjustments to tweak their stocks and with the PFS it is possible to make small changes that help in a big way. Carry a small measuring tape in your range bag or in the parts kit, this is a great help when making changes to confirm the pre and post measurements to ensure you moved it the amount you wanted. Changes are easy and simple and REVERSIBLE - try that with a wood stock.

I strongly recommend you buy a set of allen wrenches (you get the wrenches you need in the parts kit) and the type I prefer is called an archers tool (a set of allen wrenches in a plastic housing) - these are really helpful and compact, you can carry it in your vest or pouch out ot the line with you just in case you need to tighten something up (yes, things will come loose).

The other recommendation I have is down the road to consider upgrading the comb to the ultimate fit (from Vern), see the top left and bottom right PFS in Mike's picture - those are both ultimate comb setups - it is a MAJOR difference in the feel and adjustability of the gun.

And Mike is right - read the instructions.

8. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

Mike, I did down load the manual. I have the basics of gun fit. I thought long and hard before buying, allot of money, but if it keeps me in the sport I will be happy. If the comb does not fit my face I will give Vern a phone call. If the unit works out for me I would like to put one on a Cynergy combo. Is there some stock maker that can make a grip for a Cynergy? 10tenner

9. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

10tenner,

Great that you downloaded the manual. The PFS isn't rocket science, but it ain't easy either! I have read the manual several times, but I still find something that I have missed or forgotten! I might have stated earlier that I do sales for a machine shop ( I paint gunstocks and PFS on the side). I am always seeing new innovations in machining. The PFS is an innovation for the money that will never be repalced. I have neck and back problems. When I was a child, I was leaving swimming pool with wet feet. Hit slick concrete and slipped. I landed on my head and back first. I don't remember how it felt, but I am sure it hurt. I am 29 years old now and have lingering pain. I visit a chiropractor every other week. I shot skeet for 10 years and never noticed any problems. Well, that was because I shot all the small gauge stuff. I started shooting trap last year. I first bought a BT-99. It kicked me hard, and didn't fit me well. I installed a RAD unit. Still had too much recoil for me. Bought a Perazzi MX-15. Shot it and it kicked soft. A friend of mine shot it, and stated it was the lowest recoiling gun he had ever shot. After 100 rounds shooting it, it gave my neck pain and a headache. I bought my first PFS. Guess what? No more pain! It asorbs the recoil, no doubt about it! Enjoy your unit. If you have any questions, get with Me, Mike, Vern, or someone who has owned one. I will help you anyway I can!

Matt

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Love mine, took as accurate measurements as possible from old stock. LOP, Drop at heal. comb drop front and rear ect ect. Set up PFS to same specs. I needed some toe out(lefty) I then adjusted from there. higher comb more drop at heal. I like a very upright head posistion for trap. Have fun adjustments are plentyful. Make few and small adjustments then try for a while.

11. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

Got my Precision fit Stock today. The grip fits me better than my wood stock, and no more hand hitting the comb because of the cast of. I have not contacted Vern Brown, is there different weights that can be added? I would have shot it tonight, but had one bad arthritic flare up. I am excited to try it. One concern is the second shot on doubles, may need to adjust tension. I am the only one in the the area that has one, I am sure I will gets some jibes, but do care, will post on how it goes tomorrow night, if weather permits. And thanks for the advice. 10tenner

12. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

10tenner,

Congrats on your PFS. I use one for doubles. I adjust it to get it is stiff as I can though. It only moves 4 or 5 inches. I recover for second shot well! You have a fine piece of equipment. If you don't like the black look, I paint them professionally! I can hook you up with some great colors like in the picture. Let me know if you need any help!

Matt - Woodson Enterprises
    (270) 804-5454

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.