1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

precision fit stock owners

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by machine, Feb 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. machine

machine TS Member

I am just aquiring the trap shooters opinion on the PFS. Im thinking of getting

one and I was wondering if the recoil system is a plunger or liquid or spring

loaded. thanks ZAC

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Bellingham washers and the adjustability to make it fit you right ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. machine

machine TS Member

how does the recoil system work? what are Bellingham washers?

4. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

It is a string of washers that are placed in a specific order (something like 400+ of them). The important issues are completely covered by a PFS. It is the ultimate in adjusting to the shooter, so you can dial in an exact fit. Recoil can be tuned to the point that you forget the term...there is none. Beauty is another issue, and in the eye of the beholder. When I first saw one, I thought who would do that to a perfectly nice shotgun? Now when I see mine, I think how did I shoot without it?

5. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

they are actually called belleville washers. it looks like a bunch of soup plates stacked inside of each other then a bunch stacked the same way but facing the other stack open side to open side. The spring washers compress and then return to their shape to provide the spring action. motordoc

6. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

7. machine

machine TS Member

I had a gracoil system but I dont like it because it collapses when you pull it

up. does a PFS collaps when you pull it up to your sholder or does it have

magnets in it

8. Pat  D

Pat D TS Member

Unlike springs and hydralics, the PFS system washer system will actually collapse inside the tube and absorb energy versus strechting out the recoil over a period of time. In regards to being able to pull the gun into your shoulder, it can, but since it's very adjustable you can tighten it up and have to give or loosen it up and you may find the right spot like mine that I give it a nice little snug and pull it in. I love it. I have a tear in right shoulder tendon and it gives my the oppurtunity to continue shooting versus surgery and beating my shoulder up.
    Good luck in your desicion.
    Pat

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I shot mine for the first time today. I set mine to my current stock demensions, then raised the comb a bit. I plan on setting up to shoot about 3 maybe 4" higher than oem stock. What I like so far. I was able to adjust the drop at heel to about 4" Keeping my head and neck more up right. So much more comfortable. I do not really know how stiff/soft it was adjusted to. I just turned the recoil adjusting screw about 5 times to increase the tension. I shot AA 1300 1 1/8 sporting clays rounds. Recoil was, lets see......just of no concern. I was not really used to it but managed to shoot a 21. I only shot 3 rounds so far. I can say I like it. For the cost of a custom fitted wood stock to achieve what I am looking for. The PFS was my best and only choice.

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Only thing not to crazy about is the removal of the comb to adjust cast. and removal of recoil pad to adjust tension and recoil pad, Very minor inconvenience.

11. machine

machine TS Member

IM getting one for my browning because it kicks hard

12. Pat  D

Pat D TS Member

Unlike springs and hydralics, the PFS system washer system will actually collapse inside the tube and absorb energy versus strechting out the recoil over a period of time. In regards to being able to pull the gun into your shoulder, it can, but since it's very adjustable you can tighten it up and have to give or loosen it up and you may find the right spot like mine that I give it a nice little snug and pull it in. I love it. I have a tear in right shoulder tendon and it gives my the oppurtunity to continue shooting versus surgery and beating my shoulder up.
    Good luck in your desicion.
    Pat

13. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Why are you guys pulling the gun so hard anyways? Really no need to be pulling on it so much that it colapses. Maybe this is something your used to doing with old stock in preparation of recoil? Gun only needs to be mounted with enough force to keep it in place.

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have very little tension on the Belleville washers (nearly maximum recoil absorption). When I mount the gun against my shoulder, it does collapse just a little but it is back out by the time my face touches the comb.

maclellan1911- I like a rather firm mount and a strong grip on the gun. Much recoil is absorbed by my hands and arms with a tight grip. Both Kay O. and I even grip the forearm a little firmer than is dictated by current dogma.

Pat Ireland

15. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Pat I also have a firm grip on the grip and forend, but I am not pulling back into my shoulder, that for me would be a little to much tensioner for me. I just got my PFS I only turned it 5 times for more stiff than original owner. I tell you those first 15 20 shots felt strange. With your hands moveing....but I was shooting AA supersporting clays rounds, normally those would give me a headache after 50 rounds not now! I matched up my old stock specs very close, raised the comb 1/8 inch and manged to shoot 21 22 24 21. nor bad for such a drastic change.

16. vdt

vdt Active Member

To Maclellan 1911,he is what i do to overcome taking off the comb to adjust cast and pitch on cheek piece[now bare with me ] i took a small square shafted screw driver and ground the end to a piont ,if you remove the locking socket head screws on the back side of the mounting block,then loosen of the screws that hold the cheek piece your tool you made now will fit that hold and with care you can turn it in or out the stand off ,there you have changed the cast and pitch........vdt

17. zinger

zinger Member

And the beauty of a PFS is the temperature will never affect it's recoil reduction ability! Whether it's -20 below or 110 degrees outside, the PFS will perform the same. Machine, you won't regret shooting a PFS. I'd give up my gun before I'd give up my stock.

18. vdt

vdt Active Member

Zinger are you all going to be at the Sothern Grand.....vdt

19. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Good tip. Thank you, one of the things this site is great for. Im working on making a plate to use my old comb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

pfs stock maximum heel adjustment

precision fit stock belleville washers